non-cardiogenic pulmonary edema

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have a history of Afib? Was it documented in the hospital?

As of today, I believe I have had a couple of undocumented Afib events.

It was definitely documented in the hospital as I was wearing an EKG telemetry box and was constantly being recorded. It started during the second evening and self-corrected in the early morning. The floor nurse told me while it was happening, but I felt normal.

I would wonder if you had immersion pulmonary edema from much deeper, and were vomiting at the surface from hypoxemia. I doubt IPE had its onset at the end of the dive, on the surface, especially if you were impaired before you got there.

I am unsure of the vomiting. It might have been big burps from compressed gas in my belly. I did not have any vertigo.

I do not know if IPE is the correct term, but I'm sure that I inhaled seawater after I lost consciousness on the surface.

What are the normal causes of IPE during a dive?

Note that I grew up in Miami, Florida, free diving since childhood, and with scuba since high school.

UPDATE: I finally spoke to the dive boat skipper who saw everything as he stood his post on the foredeck watching for problems.

I came up normally at the buoy, lifted my mask, signaled "OK", threw up in the ocean, signaled "OK" and threw up again. Then I pulled and swam along the floating line towards the stern. Throwing up was an obvious "ok NOT!" signal, so the skipper watched me the whole time. As I was going towards the stern, I finally became completely unconscious, let go of the line and rolled onto my back. I probably inhaled some sea water that added to the existing edema. I was pulled up and out quite promptly and given pure oxygen.

MEDICALLY: The Cardiologist's final evaluation is that I had Submersion Pulmanory Edema followed by Hypercarbic Narcosis.

Over several minutes, my brain was getting messed up. I can report that, with not too much of a macho attitude (who, me??), a messed up brain isn't the best tool to recognize it's messed up. I was not having any respiratory distress. I ended the dive and got to the surface before I lost consciousness. Note that I am 67 years old and have high blood pressure that needs better treatment. These can be factors in IPE.

I was unlucky to have a major physiological event during a deep dive. I was lucky to have recognized it before disaster happened. I was very fortunate at the end to be on a dive boat with an experienced and attentive crew.

MANY THANKS to OCEAN DIVERS of Key Largo, FL. USA.

Back
Top Bottom