Nomad vs Armadillo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK - After looking at the Razor and OMS solutions more carefully, I've now got a couple of more possibilities to consider.

Northwoodsdiver, true, with the Razor you have no wing, but you're right, most of my local diving is dry, so that isn't an issue there. For travelling it's not an issue either, just a quick weight check to dial in on the first day.

To tell you the truth, I didn't give OMS much thought. Now after really reviewing it, I'll consider it also.

I just hope that this thread has helped some others in considering what SM systems are out there, and how you can approach this. As I said in a previous post, My primary concern isn't even tight spaces at this point. I just would really like to get the doubles off of my back, and I've always liked the idea of managing tanks in this configuration. I guess I've just made the decision to move in this direction, but want to do it right - one time.

And to all who've been giving comparative descriptions, you've helped a lot.

Thanks,

Been enjoying my Nomad from the beginning, even in some fairly tight places. It allows for alot of customization and adequate lift, which is lacking in some of the other available off-the-shelf kits.

You may also want to consider the OxyCheq Recon. I used this rig while taking the sidemount specialty course last weekend. I had never dove anything but backmount singles, and was using this as a springboard to Tec 1, which I start in a couple of weeks.

Having said that, I was able to dive two AL80s on the first day, and two steel LP95s on the second, only adding weight for the AL80s, both with drysuit. Being completely new to having more than one tank, I found the rig managable. Streamlined, a 360 degree wing, but make sure to use 21 inch bungees to hold the tanks in close. My rig had 17 inch bungees and was near impossible to clip on, until we added a 4 inch double bolt snap to increase the length-much better.

Hope this is helpful, just offering for consideration since I didn't see this rig mentioned in the thread.

PS another major manufacturer is coming out with a SM rig soon that combines the best features of the current SM rig leaders.

I just hope that this thread has helped some others in considering what SM systems are out there, and how you can approach this.
Yes, it has. SM is exciting, and is in its infancy, at least as far as gear configurations are cocnerned. That is what makes it fun! We are still tweaking, experimenting, learning.
I guess I've just made the decision to move in this direction, but want to do it right - one time.
ONE TIME??? Well, that brings to mind a poem:
Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride," the shade replied-- "If you seek for Eldorado!"

SM is in its infancy? Its been around before people were doubling up tanks on their backs... Even its current configurations have been used for several decades now.

SM is in its infancy? Its been around before people were doubling up tanks on their backs... Even its current configurations have been used for several decades now.

Sidemount is definately not in its infancy. I saw a video on the Dive Rites website which had Lamar Hires talking about diving sidemount back in the day with old jacket style BC's. It was all of the problems they encountered sidemounting with jacket BC's which led to the development of the NOMAD.

Here is the link to the video if you are interested: YouTube - diverite84's Channel

However, I do think that standardizing a configuration for SM such as the DIR style for doubles may be considered in its infancy. Although I think that is the draw for SM divers is the fact that you can customize what works for you and the type of diving you are doing.

Last edited:
Yes, the more I look at the Razor, the more interesting it gets.

Although I am still looking at more "mainstream" systems as well. The whole side mount concept is very appealing. Yes Colliam7, I know that getting it right the first time is a pipe dream, but I'd like to not rush into it, at least giving myself a chance to enjoy things for a while before I inevitably find a reason to add to my gear collection.

And although side mount is not in its infancy, I would say that it is gaining much more attention in the general diving arena than previously. I like the flexibility it offers, as I dive many different combinations of tanks and would like to expand my options, both in restricted environments and in OW scenarios. I think that the SM option has positives that transcend specific environments.

Anyway, I don't get the opportunities to check the board as much as I'd like, but I haven't lost interest in following the thread.

Thanks all. I'm here reading it, if not every day.

However, I do think that standardizing a configuration for SM such as the DIR style for doubles may be considered in its infancy. Although I think that is the draw for SM divers is the fact that you can customize what works for you and the type of diving you are doing.
On my last trip to N FL I spoke with several sidemount divers and got several different answers on hose routing.

My decision on side mount hose routing was based on the fact I dive mixed teams and due to the established backmount experience and familiarity with the basic hog arrangement. Long hose on the right tank and bungeed backup on the left tank, for pretty much the same reasons it works in back mount.

Even within that narrow limit, you still have room to customize. The long hose can be bungeed to the tank with just enough hose to reach your reg on a 45 or 90 degree angle adapter, or it can be routed across the torso and around the neck as in back mount (with the adapter keeping it closer to your neck.) Similarly, the bungeed back up can run around the back of your neck, or can be partially bungeed and route up the front of your torso directly to your mouth.

On any given day in back mount I am about 95% "DIR" compliant, although it is more a carryover of hog configuration. I tend to be opposed to the overly rigid few expoused by some DIR/GUE divers as it leaves no room to optimize for the specific conditions - and I get really annoyed when a given DIR/GUE fan can't explain why they do what they do beyond having ben told that's the way you do it, team consistency, etc.

But at the other extreme, I see lots of potential problems with almost literally 11 different sidemount hose configurations for 10 different divers and I think some discusson of standardization from a safety standpoint may be worth having.

SuPrBuGmAn:
However, I do think that standardizing a configuration for SM such as the DIR style for doubles may be considered in its infancy.
Yes. I probably made a misleading choice of words in suggesting sidemount is in its 'infancy', if that created the impression that I was describing it as a new concept. I was actually referring to the emergence of commercial rigs directed specifically to sidemount (remember, Pearldiver07's OP was about two commercially available rigs). And, 'infancy' probably isn't exactly the right word that I am looking for, either. That confession notwithstanding, I do think that the transfer of both technology and technique for sidemount diving, from a relatively limited number of divers in the cave community to the larger (predominantly backmount-oriented) technical diving community, and to the even larger recreational diving community, at least as far as backgas goes, is in a period of early and rapid development. In that context, whether Lamar and others were diving SM 5 years ago, 20 years ago, or 60 years ago, is irrelevant. How many people were routinely diving SM 5 years ago? What proportion of divers own a commercial 'sidemount rig' today? We have been diving sidemount for quite some time, simply in the act of slinging deco bottles. But, there is almost an explosion of SM commercial technology and training taking place right now, and as DA points out, the degree of standardization remains rather minimal. SM is 'hot' right now. Whether that is sustained or not remains to be seen (I suspect it will be).

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom