Nomad lt configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Candiru

Contributor
Reaction score
Dive rite is running a deal on the nomad lt for 349. At this price I think I'm going to give it a try. I dive dry suit with heavy insulation mainly in quarries. Which model would you get for this setup, blue water or cave. Also I currently have an aluminum 80, but it looks like people also use lp 85. Would you get 2 85's or one more alum 80? Thanks!

Candiru,

Diving dry, would recommend that you go with the steel 85's. And here is some more information to help you decide which version is right for you.

The two versions of the Nomad LT offer different locations for the pull dump. The Nomad LT Tech version has the pull dump located on the bottom with the inflator on the inside right and OPV located on the inside left. These can be reversed by the diver, if desired. The Nomad LT Bluewater version is for divers who need to dump gas from their wing in a vertical orientation. The primary inflator is located on the back of the wing, over the left shoulder and the OPV is located on the back of the wing, bottom left. All other features are the same on both versions. The Nomad LT comes standard with a { 12 in | 30 cm } corrugated inflation hose, a plain elbow and a { 2 in | 5 cm } crotch strap, plus two 2012 style inch ring and loop bungees w/medium snaps and chokers.

IMPORTANT: Extremely streamlined, the Nomad LT has { 22 lbs | 10 kg } of lift to carry twin aluminum 80 cylinders with a wetsuit or steel 85s when wearing a drysuit. The Nomad LT is designed to support a maximum of { 10 lb | 4 kg } of additional weight worn for trim or buoyancy purposes. When diving the Nomad LT, you must not attempt to dive with cylinders or additional weight that exceed Dive Rite recommendations.

--
Joyce

Don't mind the joke as wise ass remarks. If you prefer a top mounted inflator and plan on OW diving, then get the Bluewater. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. If you plan on doing penetration diving with it I recommend getting the cave version.

As for tanks, I agree with Joyce. A couple of steel 85's if dry is a great setup. However, if you ever want to dive wet with this setup, I would stick with AL80's. not a bad idea to have a set of each if you see any chance of you diving wet.

The LT is a very nicely built rig. You will not be disappointed in either.

I have a Nomad LT, original version. I actually wish they had come out with the other version before I bought mine. I would have swapped the inflator and dump so the dump would be on the top of the wing and still have the inflator on the bottom of the wing. I just prefer having a dump on top because I can dump all the air without getting too much out of a horizontal position.

The LT only has 22 lbs of lift. Faber 85 cave filled will have about 10 lbs negative buoyancy each. This doesn't include regulators and any other gear that may have some negative buoyancy to it. With a dry suit you will likely need a little more weight to make yourself neutrally bouyant with empty cylinders. Keeping that in mind you need to think about whether you can float yourself at the surface with 22 lbs of lift and all of your gear. Sure the dry suit will help but some dry suits won't hold much air when you're vertical because the air will escape through the neck. And if the dry suit floods you will also have an issue. Personally, I only use the LT with AL80s. It can easily take 2 AL80s plus multiple stages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom