Nokia Sport Drysuit Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverryan

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, it came time for me to get a new drysuit and a buddy had a Nokia one for sale that gave me a great deal on it. One that I basically could not pass up: suit, undergarments, inflator hose, hood, thermal socks, and set of drygloves. He told me that I would need to replace the seals though. Well, I decided to not do this on the first “test” dive in a quarry to 20 feet. I kept them on there and called on a great friend: ducktape. My dive went surprisingly better than I thought…..I did get wet but it did not flood. After that weekend, I decided to replace my own wrist and neck seals and dive it again. After this, I dove it the next weekend and found some minor leaks that were patched up and aquasealed. Well, here is my review of the Nokia Sport Drysuit:

Logically, my discussion will follow in the head to toe fashion. When applying the new neck seal, the neck “hole” is a bit smaller than I anticipated: 11 inch diameter. This however was not a problem to work with. When looking at the zipper, the pull ran smoothly across it’s teeth. No problems there. The Apeks inflator is mounted about two inches to the right (when looking at the suit) and at 3:00 (therefore non-swivel). I did not know if this would bother me, but thus far it has not. Also, lacking a swivel eliminates another possible failure point. The SI Tech deflator is mounted in the typical location: between the shoulder and the elbow. Although it does not have the fancy “DUI” deflator appearance, it works flawlessly. Is possesses an easy push and a notched turn. Finally, the attached boots are of very high quality. They are about one size too big for me but when wearing thick socks, they are perfect.

After my “ducktape” dive, I replaced all three seals with some heavy-duty DUI seals. Although a bit pricy, I think they are of excellent quality and work great. The neck seal went on great and I also Aquasealed both the inside and outside to ensure it’s “watertightness”. When applying the wrist seals, I did the same thing. Although probably not a fashion statement applying job, I took it diving and had no leaks with the seals. I did find some small holes right near a seam in the shoulder though. Sense I had about 3 tubes of Aquaseal and cotol 240 sitting around, I applied it to the entire seam around the shoulders to just make sure that possible leak sites are covered. However, before putting the Aquaseal on, I put some black patches for a primary barrier. Then I dove it. It was perfect; no leaks; no moisture; no problems.

When it comes to diving this particular suit, you must remember that it is vulcanized rubber and therefore a bit heavier than trilam suits. For me, this made trim so much better and easier. I have noticed that while swimming, the boots seem a bit buoyant and with light fins, this may cause your feet to ascend a bit. For all the people who use ankle weights, then you are probably covered but sense I never use them, a heavier fin works great and keeps the feet down.

Overall, the suit really impressed me (disregarding the need for new seals and some patch work). I liked the feel and the way it dives. If you have any particular questions, feel free to ask me. Thanks.

If anyone can tell me what and where I can buy that cloth tape where the seal meets the suit, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom