noise underwater by divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do all you noise intolerate divers do when a boat goes over head,anchors clanking,computer alarms going off ???
We realize that we don't have much control over the boat traffic, except to dive in places that don't have too much of it, which I do.

As a dive guide,I use a S/S wand & a shaker in order to get divers attention. Sometimes I actually have to "shake" or "tap" the spaced out diver! As a guide it is important device for safety & relaying dive instructions.
As above, you don't have much control over the divemaster, except to avoid the ones that don't mesh with your diving preferences, once you know. I try not to dive with operators who are likely to attract a gaggle of "spaced out divers" that need constant herding by the divemaster, by avoiding cattle boats and going instead with those that allow you the leeway to do your own dive. Then I keep as much space between me and the other divers as I can. That's not always possible though. Other strategies are to make clear to the divemaster pre-dive that you don't want the guided tour--divemasters are usually fine with that, in my experience, but there are always those that can't accept it--perhaps because of language barriers or because they have been conditioned to believe photographers will tip more generously if they are shown every eel and lobster on the reef. The most annoying are those who won't take an "okay" sign as a hint that I don't want to swim over to that crowd of sculling divers they've just assembled, to try to photograph an eel through the silt cloud they kicked up. They just keep tapping or quacking away. Yes, I have swam over and taken a shot (usually without focusing, you just need to fire the strobes) to appease them on occasion.

Find the correct dive attitude & quit being a whiney control freak or just dive solo !!!
I do try to control those aspects of my vacation that I can; I'm paying for it, after all, and usually quite a bit. And I don't think the correct attitude is to resign myself to misguided policies by the people I am paying. I also don't think being oblivious to customers' preferences is the correct attitude for a service provider. If whining here awakens one divemaster to the idea that maybe some of his charges don't appreciate his sideshow, then maybe it's not a waste of time. I do like the solo idea though--does your employer allow solo diving? Many (most?) dive operators don't.

If I have to have a divemaster in the water with me, I look for one that leaves me alone as much as possible, but that's hard to determine in advance. When I find a good one at dive spots I frequent, I keep going back.

While I greatly prefer to hear only the marine life sounds, I also see the need for occassional attention getting sounds. I use the Christmas bell when needed or the pointer on the tank if the bell did not get the attention of the diver I need to communicate with. I guess what bothers me more is that people can get so worked up over a little issue.

I love my banger!!! Nice to have something to use when I needed to get attention as a matter of urgency..... I have NEVER used my banger yet though :)

that's good to see that a simple question or gadget can become such a big discussion reaching to country vs. rap ;-)

and by the way: if i EVER catch someone with an iPod/Pad/iAything underwater and i have to hear his music i swear i'll torture him with my metal-collection for the rest of the day/trip/week ;-)

I thought the Quacker used by our Dive Master on Roatan worked well and was not annoying.

Would you be speaking of Davit, divemaster at the Reef House? The guy would play La Cucaracha on his sub-duck. I still smile whenever I think of him ... a real gift to the diving world. What will we see on the dive?? "Twenty feet, twenty fish. Fifty feet, fifty fish!" OK, you had to be there. :wink:

I have a steel caribeaner attached to a d-ring for the purpose of banging it on my tank, but in an emergency situation ONLY. I have never used it yet, and I plan to keep it that way.

that's good to see that a simple question or gadget can become such a big discussion reaching to country vs. rap ;-)

and by the way: if i EVER catch someone with an iPod/Pad/iAything underwater and i have to hear his music i swear i'll torture him with my metal-collection for the rest of the day/trip/week ;-)

you would LOVE the guy with this thing then:
YouTube - Sculs

you would LOVE the guy with this thing then:
YouTube - Sculs

... a pity he didn't think to say something useful like "Hey Jose, your tank valve's leaking" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom