nocturnal lights - slx 800t / m700t

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
just saw the nocturnal products online for the first time. never heard of them before today. i am using a UK eled light cannon and am thinking of getting some type of wrist mount.
nocturnal claims the m700t is 700 lumen. i am having a hard time picturing this little light being as bright as my light cannon which is rated at about 800 lumen. i really like the idea of the wrist mount that holds two of the m700t's.
anyone have personal knowledge of these products to compare.
i also looked at the slx 800t which is physically bigger but apparently is 800 lumen and aprox the same burn time as the m700t. so why would anyone buy the 800 ? i must be missing something. any help appreciated

btw.....i have also been looking at the light and motion sola 800 and light monkey 9w and 12w cannisters

The M700 uses CR123 batteries....expensive and not available everywhere. The SLX800 uses AAs...cheap, available everywhere.
The burn time is NOT the same; it is at least 4x longer on the SLX800. I think you looked at the specs wrong.

quote from web site for the 800 - "Six Alkaline AA batteries produces power for a 8 hour burn time, with a maximum output of two hours" - thats a bit confusing. not even sure what that means. it also says .....quote "Burn Time 8+ hours (2+ hours on max output) when using 6 AA batteries.

quote from web site for 700 - "
The CR123s can be purchased anywhere in the world and the standard package comes with two CR123s.... batteries will offer approximately 1.5 to 2 hours of usable light on high and 3-4 hours on low before the intensity of the light fades."

so i take that to read that both last for about 2 hrs on hi. no ??

The alkalines in the SLX800 will burn at their highest intensity for a couple of hours, then very slowly die off, but are good for at least 8h. I've used mine for a week of night dives on the same batteries. The M700 is very bright, then just dies. The CR123 quits. 2h is generous....I think mine have not lasted that long. I have the M700i, with the wide beam, and only one power setting. The M700t might be different.

Yeah, you can often find the CR123 at dive locations, but not like AAs, and never cheaply. I've quit using the CR123 and have replaced it with the rechargeable 18650. It is not quite as bright, but lasts much longer, and being rechargeable, is lower cost to operate.

Back
Top Bottom