NOAA’s Lake Ontario National Marine Sanctuary seeks advisory council applicants

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Greetings from the Pacific Northwest and Puget Sound!

I am a member of the Olympic Coast National Marine Sanctuary (OCNMS) advisory council, a group of volunteers for NOAA who offer guidance for managing our lovely ocean sanctuary. The OCNMS is one of 16 Marine Sanctuaries managed by NOAA, and each has an advisory council made up of representatives from the local communities, business, tourism, tribes, commerce, research, education, and more.

So what's this got to do with you?

Recently, NOAA announced the establishment of a sanctuary advisory council and will begin seeking members for the Lake Ontario National Marine Sanctuary in eastern Lake Ontario. The council needs diver representatives!

The Lake Ontario National Marine Sanctuary Advisory council is composed of 15 voting members and 2 non-voting youth seats who represent a variety of community interests. The sanctuary is currently seeking applicants for the following seats and terms:
  • Citizen-at-Large (1 member, 1 alternate) - 2 year term
  • Citizen-at-Large (1 member, 1 alternate) - 3-year term
  • Business, Marketing and Economic Development (1 member, 1 alternate) - 2 year term
  • Business, Marketing and Economic Development (1 member, 1 alternate) - 3 year term
  • Divers, Dive Clubs and Archaeology (1 member, 1 alternate) - 2 year term
  • Divers, Dive Clubs and Archaeology (1 member, 1 alternate) - 3 year term
  • Education (K-12) (1 member, 1 alternate) - 2 year term
  • Higher Education (1 member, 1 alternate) - 3 year term
  • Fishing (1 member, 1 alternate) - 3 year term
  • History, Heritage and Public Interpretation (1 member, 1 alternate) - 2 year term
  • History, Heritage and Public Interpretation (1 member, 1 alternate) - 3 year term
  • Recreation (1 member, 1 alternate) - 3 year term
  • Research, Science and Technology (1 member, 1 alternate) - 3 year term
  • Tourism (1 member, 1 alternate) - 2 year term
  • Tourism (1 member, 1 alternate) - 3 year term
  • Youth (14-17) - non-voting (1 member, 1 alternate) - 2 year
  • Youth (14-17) - non-voting (1 member, 1 alternate) - 3 year
Applicants do not necessarily need prior first-hand experience within the sanctuary, but they should be very familiar with their constituents' regional interests and how they relate to, or benefit, the management of Lake Ontario National Marine Sanctuary. Anyone with the desire and ability to effectively represent their respective community’s interest in the management of the sanctuary is encouraged to apply, regardless of the applicant's geographic location within the region.

Application materials for voting seats are available on the Lake Ontario National Marine Sanctuary Webpage. Applications will be accepted through September 17, 2024.

To be clear, the positions are unpaid and voluntary, and NOAA also has a bit of a background check on selected candidates just to make sure you aren't a scoundrel.

If you are concerned about stewardship and preserving Lake Ontario, please consider applying. Heck, I might apply myself just 'cause.

I'm one of the diving reps for the Flower Garden Banks NMS Sanctuary Advisory Council. I strongly recommend applying if you have an interest in diving in the area. You have both a community and personal voice that will be heard by the sanctuary management. And with it being a new sanctuary, I'm sure there will be a lot that they need help with.

Reactions: g2
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom