no tonsillitis, but... huge highly tonsils

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi,

I've never dived before and I'm considering taking the beginners class (some swimming pool followed by some sea).

My issue is this: I've seen that a big no-no in scuba diving is anything that can block the respiratory system.

My tonsils have gone through a lot in my life and they are now both permanently swollen and riddled with craters.

Please note that they're NOT infected. I DO NOT have tonsillitis. I simply have an ugly, oversized mess of meat on each side of my throat. It DOESN'T prevent me from breathing normally at all. 30 years ago I would have been a perfect candidate for tonsillectomy when it was still the default practice.

So, what do you say about that? Issue or no issue?

I'm not a MD, but have suffered from sinus and eustacheon issues all my life...and am familiar with swollen tinsels as a consequence. It does not stop me from diving - but I do have to take active and preventative measures to ensure I'm healthy and not blocked prior to dives. Sometimes it takes me a bit longer to equalize, especially after a lot of up-down trips...but it's manageable.

It sounds like you are describing large cryptic palatine tonsils. No issue.

@doctormike ?

Hi,

I've never dived before and I'm considering taking the beginners class (some swimming pool followed by some sea).

My issue is this: I've seen that a big no-no in scuba diving is anything that can block the respiratory system.

My tonsils have gone through a lot in my life and they are now both permanently swollen and riddled with craters.

Please note that they're NOT infected. I DO NOT have tonsillitis. I simply have an ugly, oversized mess of meat on each side of my throat. It DOESN'T prevent me from breathing normally at all. 30 years ago I would have been a perfect candidate for tonsillectomy when it was still the default practice.

So, what do you say about that? Issue or no issue?

You say you can breathe normally. Normally is through the nose.
How can you breathe mouth breathing only?

I had my tonsils out at about age 21, best thing I ever did, those things made my life a misery

Yes, I'm describing "large cryptic Palatine tonsils".
I can breathe both through the nose or through the mouth, on demand.

@JeanCallisti , can you swallow normally? Any problems moving air during heavy exercise?

Best regards,
DDM

No, no issue moving air. Heavy exercise had a tendency to free my air conduits rather than block them. It's just that I don't know if everything swells when underwater.

No, no issue moving air. Heavy exercise had a tendency to free my air conduits rather than block them. It's just that I don't know if everything swells when underwater.

Given that information, I don't see where your enlarged tonsils would be a barrier to diving. Of course the best person to make this determination would be someone who could examine you in person.

Best regards,
DDM

Large tonsils can cause problems breathing at night (obstructive sleep apnea), or in rare cases can cause problem with swallowing. In such cases, tonsils are sometimes removed for obstructive symptoms. The other main reason for removing tonsils is chronic infection with significant recurrent or chronic symptoms.

If you don't have either of these problems, I'm not sure what sort of diving related issues there would be.

Back
Top Bottom