No STA single backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes...This idea is a mix of many designs I have seen online, Items I like from major manufactures, and a good deal of information obtained here on the board. If you have ever searched a DIY backplate here and divelight.msn, you have seen 75% of my design. Also...not trying to rip off OMS, (or anyone else for that matter!!!!!) Just did a great deal to make sure I can integrate their products. And lastly, due to the tools I have availiable to me, laser cut is the only way, which will make the edges into knives. If I went the alum. route, I could do away with the inserts. I appreciate the input..thank you!!

BigWhiteSquare:

Honestly never saw that one!! looks very nice, I may end up buying one of those rather than having mine built...may be cheaper! thanks for the link! I do want to use an OMS backpad (I am 6'2" and 137LBS...not much natural padding!!) but I could have the blackart one drilled out for that, and that would only cost me a 6 pack for the guys on the shop floor.

babygonz123:
This is my concept design for a no STA single tank rig. It can still facilitate twins. Fits an OMS backpad and most standard wings. I am thinking this would be a great travel rec BP. laser cut 304L stainless with Delrin inserts for strap wear reduction. What do you think?

Looks good, though I'd look into whether or not people have had any issues diving the Black Arts plates with doubles. And would it work with an STA if someone wanted to use one anyway for some reason? How much bend would you put into the plate?

Also, I've suggested this to Tobin before and he didn't care for it, but maybe you will: My suggestion was to make an aluminum version of his DSS steel plate so that it could take the extra weight plates. Then people wouldn't need a separate steel and plastic/aluminum plate (with separate harnesses), but could just buy the AL plate and then add extra steel (or lead?) weight plates to it as needed (you'd have to make those too of course). This would be especially nice when starting out because people are not sure what they'll end up needing in the end.

I'm also curious why you'd go with 304L steel? Not saying there's anything wrong with it, but I've noticed that different manufacturers use different series steel so I'm just wondering why you chose the 304L?

The inserts are nice, but if it infringes on a copyright, then maybe you could think of something slightly different that does the same job. Molding the edges into rounder shapes but made of the same steel as the plate (not sure how to explain it) could do it. Same with the plate profile, I'd change it enough that it doesn't completely duplicate anyone else's design, but still works with the OMS or some other pad.

Good luck.

Am I missing something or would this design not work with a wing that does not have cutouts for the cam bands to pass through (Oxycheq Mach5)? By the way, I do like the aluminum plate idea with the steel/lead weight plates. It would work well for traveling divers who need little weight in the tropics and a lot of weight up north. I do think there is a market for a plate optimized for single tank diving without retaining doubles capacity, IF the plate is significantly better than using a doubles plate.

Regarding the edges, I have seen on a UK site somewhere the recommendation of using bike innertube in the slots and threading the webbing through it. There may be a better material that you can use, but you have the idea. Also can a plate be plastic coated without causing problems? Just a thought.

ok....in reguards to mounting a sta to this plate...I dont believe any would fit, I'm sure I could design one however, for now... I guess the answer is no.

The grade of stainless is due to a combination of availibility versus duribility. In my resurch I found the best stainless is 312 or 314 (cant really remember) and 304 is a lot cheaper and might corrode after 25 years or so (with a little care 50 years is reasonable to expect)

Lastly....you are correct. The plate requires cam band slots.

Back
Top Bottom