No Oriskany this summer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy:
a hurricane mooring arrangement approved by the U.S. Coast Guard

Curious what this means...anyone familliar with what the Coast Guard would approve?

:15a: but I dont wanna wait any longer *sniff*

diverbrian:
(I know boo... hiss...) and have to admit that this is logical. It's one thing to plant something in the ocean that you just can't find another home for (which I still don't personally agree with, but the lawyers are having fun with the chemical company in this area right now so the exec's from the days when this is more common are getting some of their just desserts). It is quite another to deliberately sink a huge amount of a known carcinogen without doing your best to making sure that the salt water and hurricanes won't release them to the environment. This sounds like a unwelcome decision, but a cautious and correct one.

I mean, really. Are they afraid the PCB's will get into the fish, which the longliners will pick up and sell to the Restaurants, who will store it improperly, and the PCB's will kill all of the Salmonella?

I submit there are more carcinogens in all of the cigarette butts flicked overboard every year, as well as the "legal" dumping of refuse, than will ever be released by this military-grade insulation.

But, I'm not an attorney, and only a part-time tree-hugger. Besides, it's only money. :11ztongue

darcy:
Curious what this means...anyone familliar with what the Coast Guard would approve?

They (the coast guard) approved it because in high winds hurricane force (120+ mph) the ship could break free of the pier and crash into other piers or vessles, or flip, etc. Or it could break free and "wander" into the main channel of the port, sink and block the channel.

The coast guard has authority over the port for such decisions that might be saftey concerns.

mike_s:
Or it could break free and "wander" into the main channel of the port, sink and block the channel.

If that were the case, the Zodiac would be my preffered dive boat to that site :D

SuPrBuGmAn:
If that were the case, the Zodiac would be my preffered dive boat to that site :D

Hey, Bug Man,
I bet you're already lighting candles, burning incense and sacrificing goats to the gods . . .

"Oh, pleeezzzzzzzzzzz, pleeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . . . .

If it takes a hurricane to do it, I'd rather it be out 25 miles to be honest :) I couldn't dive for 2-3 weeks after the hurricane due to flooding at the springs and incredibly poor conditions in the gulf.

Maybe just a freak accident.... hmmm :D

mike_s:
much shorter ride also. No Nitros required. Told you we'd be diving it in your Zodiac!

...and here I thought I would have to turn my little inflatable into an ultralight :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom