No Oceanic OC1 Mac support?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My apologies....seems your sense of humour got tossed out with the $2,000. Good thing I don't need your permission to post. :)

I also own an Oceanic computer which I quite like.....mostly for the job it does when I'm diving. Being able to download on to my PC laptop is convenient, but not why I bought the computer.

As an actual contribution however, let me say that Oceanic software is rather poor, so you're still better off looking for a 3rd party solution.

You got me :wink: and your right, I do feel that the OC1 is something I am going to use more in the water, the primary reason I want to get it set up with my laptop though is to update the firmware.. its a relatively new product and as we know all new products have kinks. I know there are some firmware updates already available for it, so i'd like to get it up to speed before I go to south-east asia for 2 months far removed from the Oceanic support network.

Bracko.. Its 2010, Its a little old fashioned these days not to offer mac support, don't you think? And if none of the new owners complain about it, do you think that Oceanic will get around to providing support? As for paying for a licensed copy of windows and a licensed copy of vmware/parallels ($300) and dedicating 10gb of disk space just to do a firmware update, it seems rather excessive when Apple are now the 3rd largest distributor of computers.

Bracko.. Its 2010, Its a little old fashioned these days not to offer mac support, don't you think? And if none of the new owners complain about it, do you think that Oceanic will get around to providing support? As for paying for a licensed copy of windows and a licensed copy of vmware/parallels ($300) and dedicating 10gb of disk space just to do a firmware update, it seems rather excessive when Apple are now the 3rd largest distributor of computers.

Yeah, I've been using them since 1985, but I just switched my whole office to Macs (14 stations plus a Mac server)... works great! Gotta say, when I see people working on laptops in the local coffee shops, PCs are pretty rare. But I guess that might be a biased sample..! :)

As more and more stuff gets moved to platform independent data structures (XML, HTML, cloud data, etc...), I find it less and less of an issue to be locked out of something because I only use Macs. Even CT and MRI images are now supplied using DICOM standards, which are not platform specific, as far as I can tell... I haven't had to use emulation for an application in many years.

I don't really care enough to argue, but A: you don't need to dual boot and B: by market share of OPERATING SYSTEM microsoft still has around 90%, Mac 5%. which is probably a more realistic way to view the question, not by units shipped in the last 12 months.

Despite the Mac hysteria and propaganda you [should] know when you buy a Mac that you're buying an OS with limited main stream and definitely limited niche software options. although increasing, it isn't by any stretch widely accepted in some markets such as engineering design, or, as it seems, diving as others like publishing...

by the same token there are, as pointed out, other options available.

I'm more put off by the fact that i have to fork out well over $100AUD for a cable to download the damn dive data!

[for the record i run Windows when i have to, but i prefer Ubuntu]

Yeah, I've been using them since 1985, but I just switched my whole office to Macs (14 stations plus a Mac server)... works great! Gotta say, when I see people working on laptops in the local coffee shops, PCs are pretty rare. But I guess that might be a biased sample..! :)

As more and more stuff gets moved to platform independent data structures (XML, HTML, cloud data, etc...), I find it less and less of an issue to be locked out of something because I only use Macs. Even CT and MRI images are now supplied using DICOM standards, which are not platform specific, as far as I can tell... I haven't had to use emulation for an application in many years.

Couldn't agree more. Macs actually make up almost 10% of US marketshare now (Gartner) .. and represent a significantly larger percentage of PC purchases. I read 24% but I may be wrong.

I had to call quite a few people in my phonebook before I could find a friend who still has a windows machine in their household, its like looking for dinosaur bones. I just came back from a friends place where I have successfully updated my firmware.

I've been using Macs for almost 10 years now and have never required windows application support until I bought this OC1. I'm going to keep my eye on the MacDive community to see how they progress, but it still does not address the issue of firmware updates.

I can point Oceanic to some great Mac software developers to get the ball rolling. It seems based on their website (The online product registration system is a nightmare and did not work for me) and the windows software I witnessed tonight they should fire all their IT software development staff and start with a clean slate, imho.

Back
Top Bottom