No Oceanic OC1 Mac support?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pentae

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Oceanic,

Just wanted to say I just picked up my new OC1 today and was disappointed to discover that there is currently no Mac support. :shakehead:

Apple was the third largest vendor of personal computers in the U.S. market during the September 2010 quarter, with 10.6% market share for its Mac OS X platform. (IDC)

Its also proven that Mac users have a larger disposable income and are more likely to be buying high-end dive computers like the OC1.

So please take that case forward to your upper management and get us mac support!

Thanks guys

Thanks for another voice with the same message. Oceanic has been "working on" Mac support for their computers for a number of years.

If you want an actual solution to your needs, your best bet is probably going to be Macdive, inexpensive third party software. See macdive - home
The OC1 is not yet supported there, but they are working on it, and I'd bet Macdive will support OC1 well before Oceanic is supporting Mac.

Macdive is discussed in the scubaboard thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...s-analyzers/225186-new-mac-os-x-dive-app.html
See posts #359 & 360, Nov 11 2010 for mention of OC1 support. You can even help make it happen by providing a data dump, although I'd contact TnT & t0w first to see if they still need it.

Its also proven that Mac users have a larger disposable income and are more likely to be buying high-end dive computers like the OC1.

Proven??? More like "survey says..." :rofl3:

The same study also shows 85% of all Mac owners also have a Windows PC....so there's no problem.:D

I second Mac dive. As a Windows/Mac/Linux user. I can safely say you arent missing much with Oceanic software on your Desktop computer. I love oceanic dive computers (own 4). But there desktop software is in need of a MAJOR re-write.

Proven??? More like "survey says..." :rofl3:
The same study also shows 85% of all Mac owners also have a Windows PC....so there's no problem.:D

The point is I just spent $2,000 on a new dive computer that does not work with my new laptop. Your contribution wasn't necessary, please get out of my thread. Thanks

Thanks for another voice with the same message. Oceanic has been "working on" Mac support for their computers for a number of years.

If you want an actual solution to your needs, your best bet is probably going to be Macdive, inexpensive third party software. See macdive - home
The OC1 is not yet supported there, but they are working on it, and I'd bet Macdive will support OC1 well before Oceanic is supporting Mac.

Macdive is discussed in the scubaboard thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...s-analyzers/225186-new-mac-os-x-dive-app.html
See posts #359 & 360, Nov 11 2010 for mention of OC1 support. You can even help make it happen by providing a data dump, although I'd contact TnT & t0w first to see if they still need it.

Thanks for your valuable, well written contribution. :) I'll be sure to check it out and try my luck with MacDive.

The point is I just spent $2,000 on a new dive computer that does not work with my new laptop. Your contribution wasn't necessary, please get out of my thread. Thanks

Sounds like you bought the new gold-plated OC1. A guy in my office runs something on his mac that allows him to run windows-based programs. It works for him, but he doesn't have an OC1, so I don't know if that is a solution.

yeah, there are ways to get simple windows based programs running on a mac, and the process is by no means complex.

the question is whether the OP wants a current solution or a whinge.

My apologies....seems your sense of humour got tossed out with the $2,000. Good thing I don't need your permission to post. :)

I also own an Oceanic computer which I quite like.....mostly for the job it does when I'm diving. Being able to download on to my PC laptop is convenient, but not why I bought the computer.

As an actual contribution however, let me say that Oceanic software is rather poor, so you're still better off looking for a 3rd party solution.

MacDive is awesome and the developer (Nick Shore) is an incredible guy - very nice, helpful and available by email.

Here is the list of supported devices - lots of Oceanic computers, not sure if the OC1 is covered, but ask Nick. If it isn't now, I'll bet that he is working on it.

Back
Top Bottom