No nonsense Fins to be used for technical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ztirfritz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi to all

Have been doing some research on equipment which i intend uding for technical diving Have used Mares avantiquattros most of my life and they have always served me well. However looking for something similair to the oms slipstream fins. what else is there on the market similair to these fins. Heavy duty black fins! Wishing you all a great weekend.

First answer: Talk to your instructor. Fins affect your trim substantially (because they act as a mass you can move around to balance yourself), so it's not as simple a choice as one might think.

Second answer: Try a few, since everyone has their preferences on stiffness, weight, and foot pocket shape.

Third answer: Start with JetFins, since they're inexpensive (used) and time-tested. They may well be all that you need.

Fourth answer: There are plenty of others out there, like Hollis F1's, Rocketfins, Powerfins, Turtles.... Everyone has their favorite.

Try the following and see what suits you best:

Scubapro Jet fins
OMS Slipstreams
Force Fins Pro / Tan Delta
Hollis F1

Scubapros are probably closest to your requirements in terms of cost and function. My personal choice is Forcefins.

SP Jetts are nice, and tuff. But if you need to trim out with your head down more, you may have to opt for OMS Slipstreams or Dive-Rites. I had this issue and hung up the Jetts for Dive-Rites which all my instructors used and havent looked back. Their was an issuue with them ripping over the foot pocket but all were replaced free and the polimer was changed with good results.

I can add a vote for Hollis F1's, Scubapro Jets, the OMS Slipstreams feel like plywood strapped to your feet. The Dive Rite's are good now.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Just the sort of list of names I was after. Ill be checking them out accordingly. Wishing you all a good week.

Think size, too. My SP Jets are awesome, OMS are too stiff for me, but when I went to drysuit the SP Jet XXL are way too big and XL are too small. So the Turtles are nearly identicle fins and have the perfect in-between size that works well. I haven't tried others.

IMO, there's nothing wrong with the Mares avanti quattros. If funds are limited and they will fit your drysuit boots I'd stick with those and spend the cash on other things that I need. If you have a lot of dough or just can't stand the idea of tech diving in blue fins :eek: , then by all means, go ahead and switch. I have a pair of jets and a pair of quattros. I like the jets a little better when I'm diving dry but the quattros get the job done well enough for me.

I think spring straps are essential whatever fins you choose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom