No. Mississippi Freshwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flatwood:
you guys check out athens scuba park in athens, tx. Its about a six hour drive from jackson, ms. Good vis and warm water.
I agree, Athens is a cool place to go. Their website shows 65 ft viz today. That's still a long drive from Miss tho. IF I ever find another quarry in Louisiana with clear water i'll cure that problem. Scot

flatwood:
you guys check out athens scuba park in athens, tx. Its about a six hour drive from jackson, ms. Good vis and warm water.

Have read mixed reviews on Athens a mostly dead lake.

Better is Mermet Springs IL at Metropolis IL, actually just over the river from Paducha, KY took me about easy 6 hours from Jackson, MS. Pretty clear water, very deep total granite quarry no mud really set up nice and there is even a sunken 727 among the various things put in the water. All connected by various lines and routes. Various entry points and u/w platforms. Also some huge spoonbills (prehistoric looking) and huge catfish and stuff. Super nice staff. Did it last October. Weather was fine.

www.mermetsprings.com

BTW There is a wicked thermocline, though. 42 deg below 35 feet or so.

Just something different for those wanting to.

CajunNms:
Have read mixed reviews on Athens a mostly dead lake.

Better is Mermet Springs IL at Metropolis IL, actually just over the river from Paducha, KY took me about easy 6 hours from Jackson, MS. Pretty clear water, very deep total granite quarry no mud really set up nice and there is even a sunken 727 among the various things put in the water. All connected by various lines and routes. Various entry points and u/w platforms. Also some huge spoonbills (prehistoric looking) and huge catfish and stuff. Super nice staff. Did it last October. Weather was fine.

www.mermetsprings.com

BTW There is a wicked thermocline, though. 42 deg below 35 feet or so.

Just something different for those wanting to.

Mermet Springs is about 200 miles from me, but I'm not sure I could handle the thermocline. I would need a dry suit for 42 degrees (brrrrrrr!) I would have to stay above the thermocline.

Susan

I heard from the DeSoto County Mississippi Tourism Association that you can dive in Arkabutla Lake:

"I am sorry that I have not responded sooner. I had never been asked that question before and wanted to check with Arkabutla to make sure I didn’t give you incorrect information. And, if you believe it or not, they had to check. They do allow scuba diving as long as you follow the standard scuba diving rules and regulations and use a red flag marker at the dive site. I am not sure if you are familiar with Arkabutla Lake or not, but the water is murky and I do hope that you will be able to see something. Have a good time! "

I'm sure the viz will be horrible and I would need a light. There are 3 swimming beaches, numerous boat ramps and a big dam. It's only a 30 minute drive. I'm attaching a photo of the lake. Would you guys dive there?

Susan

redhatmama:
I'm sure the viz will be horrible and I would need a light. There are 3 swimming beaches, numerous boat ramps and a big dam. It's only a 30 minute drive. I'm attaching a photo of the lake. Would you guys dive there?

Susan
You paint a rosy picture of the lake, Susan. You know, it might be a really good dive in the winter. Once the water gets about 55 degrees, it will clear a lot. I'm game. Its about 3 hours from my home in Ocean Springs. If anybody else is interested in exploring, I'm in.

John jlayman800@hotmail.com

jlayman800:
Once the water gets about 55 degrees, it will clear a lot. I'm game. Its about 3 hours from my home in Ocean Springs. If anybody else is interested in exploring, I'm in. John jlayman800@hotmail.com
Any takers?? If the lake is ever going to be a good dive, it should be between now and the end of January. Might be worth a trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom