No. Mississippi Freshwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I can't seem to find a diving spot anywhere in the state aside from the Gulf. Doesn't anyone dive in Mississippi with all the big lakes like Sardis and Enid?

Try diving at Lake Tia O' Khata in Louisville. It's not very deep or a whole lot to look at, but it is somewhere to get wet. The viz is usually around 10 - 15 ft and better other times.

Thanks, Nutzz. I had a hard time findng it and used the terraserver to show every feature around Louisville and it is spelled: Tiak-O'Khata (means Lake of the Pines). It's about 160 miles from me. Here is the topo map: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=16&n=3663694&e=306256&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

There is also a Tia O'Khata Lake in Tennessee near Tombigbee, which caused some initial confusion in locating it.

Questions: Is there a dive shop nearby for tank rentals/air fills? There are nothing on the website at http://www.ltock.com about diving, but it looks like a nice place.

What is the bottom like? It is mud or stony? Where is the best place to enter for diving?

There is so little information available about Mid-South diving on the net. I'm thinking about making a website (I'm a webmaster by profession) devoted to these kinds of spots and would love to hear from anyone who dives within a 250 mile radius of Memphis, TN.

Thanks!

We always enter the water from the boat ramp, be careful there it is very slick. The bottom is mud and fine silt. You will mostly see a lot of stumps and large catfish, bass, and bream. We dive alot around the swimming area there and sometimes find things swimmers have lost. There is not a dive shop in the area now, but I am a PADI instructor here in Philadelphia and I am in the process of opening a dive shop here this spring. If you ever come down to dive it let me know and I will try to meet you there and show you around. I have plenty of tanks and air.

NUTTZ:
We always enter the water from the boat ramp, be careful there it is very slick. The bottom is mud and fine silt. You will mostly see a lot of stumps and large catfish, bass, and bream. We dive alot around the swimming area there and sometimes find things swimmers have lost. There is not a dive shop in the area now, but I am a PADI instructor here in Philadelphia and I am in the process of opening a dive shop here this spring. If you ever come down to dive it let me know and I will try to meet you there and show you around. I have plenty of tanks and air.

When we get ready to drive down your way, I'll PM you. I've never made a mud entry before, but I've had experience swimming on mud bottoms. Do you enter without your fins?

I really want to find some spots which I can drive to, dive, then drive home in the same day. Arkabutla is close, but I've never seen any divers. I'd like to try diving around the swimming beach (which is a sand beach), but I'm not sure they allow it.

I have a healthy respect for Mississippi game wardens. I was at Sardis years ago with a friend. I was swimming and he was fishing (with a license). The game warden checked his license. My friend had to go to the bathroom and asked me to hold his fishing pole and darned if that game warden didn't arrest me for fishing without a license. We had to go to Coldwater, where they had some sort of Court at the jail. I had seventy-two dollars and some change and they fined me $72.00. I felt like I had been legally robbed.

I could just see myself standing in front of the judge dripping in a wetsuit . . . :icon10:

I'm from Vicksburg. There's not a lot of places to dive around here either. I work in Eldorado, AR. The're two great places near by here to dive. Lake DeGray and Ouachita Lake. DeGray is near Arkadelphia, Ouachita is near Hot Springs. Those may be within your driving range.

Both Lake DeGray and Quachita are about the same distance from me as Huntsville Alabama, about 190 miles. It would not be an easy one-day trip. Deep Dixie diving is frustrating as there are not many dive spots.

I emailed the DeSoto County tourist site about Arkabutla Lake. Hopefully, they will realize what I'm talking about.

Where do you go from Vicksburg when you want to take a short dive trip?

Susan

redhatmama:
Both Lake DeGray and Quachita are about the same distance from me as Huntsville Alabama, about 190 miles. It would not be an easy one-day trip. Deep Dixie diving is frustrating as there are not many dive spots.

I emailed the DeSoto County tourist site about Arkabutla Lake. Hopefully, they will realize what I'm talking about.

Where do you go from Vicksburg when you want to take a short dive trip?

Susan

I live just 5 miles from Lake Ouachita and go there regularly during the summer. Vis is great right now and getting better (20' or more). I go to Vicksburg to eat on the gambling boats and then go to the Gulf to dive (and eat on the gambling boats). The coast is about the same distance from you as we are, but diving is kinda precious unless you go a bit farther to Pensacola or Panama City.
A three tank dive from the Biloxi area runs $120 (Capt George - http://myweb.cableone.net/dixiemarine/ ) where a two tank dive from the Panama City area runs about $65 with several dive charters to chose from (much shorter trip). George launches the boat at Pascagola and goes out 20 - 30 miles to some of the oil rigs where there is really nice diving. Unfortunately the day I went with him the wind was kicking up a bit and it was kinda rough, especially the ride back. Dive was fantastic!
At Panama City there is a good beach dive spot at the state park if you catch the tide right, and at Pensacola there is a nice spot at Ft Pickens. Unfortuantely these are all quite a trip from Vicksburg, and certainly not a "day trip" kind of thing. Most of the local lakes will likely have their vis measured in inches rather than feet.
As a kid I used to like to swim in Lake Bruin near Newelton, LA and at Lake Providence, LA. By Louisiana standards these were very clear lakes back then, but we didn't expect to actually see much under the water. Both are not terribly far from you and local divers can likely tell you if either is suitable. Neither have "interesting" things on the bottom to visit that I am aware of other than fish and mud, but then again, at least it is a chance to get wet.

From vicksburg I have to go to Gulf Coast, Ala., or Fl. Vis for the most part around west cent MS is ZERO.

fmw625:
From vicksburg I have to go to Gulf Coast, Ala., or Fl. Vis for the most part around west cent MS is ZERO.
you guys check out athens scuba park in athens, tx. Its about a six hour drive from jackson, ms. Good vis and warm water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom