No longer about the features

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caveseeker7:
The independent testing usually refers to some other entity testing the equipment rather than the manufacturer doing their own tests. Not only is there nothing wrong with that, the chances that someone else will pay for them are rather slim. Otherwise more independent testing would be done.

The important issues are what is tested, and what will the customer do with the test results.

To get the CE certification products have to go through a battery of tests, from very usefull to rather odd. Obviously loop gas analysis was not part of any tests to get that mark ... .

What happens with the test results is an entirely different subject. Usually the client gets those, and unless classified military tests were run they can do with them whatever they want. Publishing the results seems to be the best thing to do as people actually get to see how the product performed.

In regards to the testing done for APD on the Inspiration, I don't know which tests were asked for. Even if they publish any detailed results (which would be a first) I wouldn't know if these are all the results or just the ones that came out favorable. Considering that the company has known of these issues since last August I find it incomprehensible that neither testing was performed immediately, nor that a solution to any offgassing into the loop has been implemented. That breech of trust of both customers and the general public will linger on with some people for times to come. I'm one of them.

I hear you,

The 'independant' part of the test I believe comes from the actual analysis of the gasses. They were collected from a real loop during heavy max dives where there is temp and more importantly 'moisture'

DME is aggressively hydrophilic, actively seeking out water and dissolving rapidly into it. The likelihood of DME being present in a gaseous form inside a rebreather circuit has always I believe been considered to be unlikely by those involved.

I am very sure they will act upon these test results even if the results show there is no problem they will probably still do something to remove the perceived problem (seal the battery box as I have done on mine - hey it works great, only cost a few cents and took me five mins!) but at the end of the day I suspect that mod may in fact be more to stop water getting on the batteries during a flood and fizzing nasties then than during normal use.

The inspiration is not the first rebreather with a part that failed a USN off-gassing test now is it.... :wink:

Now if they would just make those lungs rear mounted I'd be happy. :) I feel myself being drawn towards a KISS with Hammerhead......

Back
Top Bottom