No longer about the features

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mac99:
Hi,
Whatever the risks, for me I would be happiest diving without a loop fitted battery 'cos it would probably stop me from fully enjoying my dive and relaxing if I had those nagging doubts at the back of my mind,!

Thanks for the info and link Mac99.

I must admit last weekend whilst battling against a ferocious ragging current in poor viz at 60m and being 30m downcurrent from the safety of the wreck and upline when my brand new scooter decided to part company with the prop blades and stop dead thus adding greatly to my drag, and seeing my bottom time racing past 40mins longer, breathing all those nasty O2 free radicals, On gassing all that dangerous inert gasses, building up CO2 overbreathing my loop swimming hard dragging my dead scooter to get back to the safety of the line and shelter of the wreck so the loop gas was as hot as hell and as a safety measure having to start to run partially semi-closed with the ADV, just at that moment realising the pen I had used to write my deco plans on my slate was water soluable and had completely washed away!!!

.....those nagging doubts about the potential battery issue didn't stop me from fully enjoying my dive and relaxing :):)

I'm no chemist but given all the risks in tech diving and RB diving I wonder if worrying about this is a bit like an alcoholic worrying about how many calories are in the twenty large vodkas hes just downed.

DrMike:
I must admit last weekend whilst battling against a ferocious ragging current in poor viz at 60m and being 30m downcurrent from the safety of the wreck and upline when my brand new scooter decided to part company with the prop blades and stop dead thus adding greatly to my drag, and seeing my bottom time racing past 40mins longer, breathing all those nasty O2 free radicals, On gassing all that dangerous inert gasses, building up CO2 overbreathing my loop swimming hard dragging my dead scooter to get back to the safety of the line and shelter of the wreck so the loop gas was as hot as hell and as a safety measure having to start to run partially semi-closed with the ADV, just at that moment realising the pen I had used to write my deco plans on my slate was water soluable and had completely washed away!!!

Just another fun day in Paradise, eh Mike??? :crafty:

BigJetDriver69:
Just another fun day in Paradise, eh Mike??? :crafty:

Yep sure was :) Had some nice fun dives last weekend, one submarine and one Battleship - nice :)

I had to laugh though when I opened my slate to find all the pages blank! For a moment I puckered up. Luckily I always carry wetnote back up plans (collection of many past deco schedules) so I could refer to that - otherwise I might still be on deco! :)

DrMike:
Yep sure was :) Had some nice fun dives last weekend, one submarine and one Battleship - nice :)

I had to laugh though when I opened my slate to find all the pages blank! For a moment I puckered up.

Oops! You have any pics to post of the wrecks?

Folks,

The testing is complete on the Inspiration battery issue. Real-world testing has been completed by an independent agency. Test results will be avilable to all shortly. Further, steps are being taken to mitigate the perception of a problem.

As Paul Harvey says: "Stand by for NEWS!!!"

"Real-world testing has been completed by an independent agency."

Who is "funding" the tests?

CcrBoy:
"Real-world testing has been completed by an independent agency."

Who is "funding" the tests?

The tests are being funded by the factory. Let me guess your insinuating that the test results will be biased??

Groan!

I guess Martin could have asked SMI to fund the tests but some how I dont think they would be interested in paying.

"Let me guess your insinuating that the test results will be biased??"

Not at all, I'm just asking. I don't have enough facts to make wild claims. :) From history I know that not all independent tests are actually independent. But that does not imply that all tests are not independent.

If AP was funding the tests then I believe they would do the right thing. I purchased an Inspiration because of my trust of the company and would buy another one today. If you told me that GI was funding it, then my trust level would drop abit. :)

The independent testing usually refers to some other entity testing the equipment rather than the manufacturer doing their own tests. Not only is there nothing wrong with that, the chances that someone else will pay for them are rather slim. Otherwise more independent testing would be done.

The important issues are what is tested, and what will the customer do with the test results.

To get the CE certification products have to go through a battery of tests, from very usefull to rather odd. Obviously loop gas analysis was not part of any tests to get that mark ... .

What happens with the test results is an entirely different subject. Usually the client gets those, and unless classified military tests were run they can do with them whatever they want. Publishing the results seems to be the best thing to do as people actually get to see how the product performed.

In regards to the testing done for APD on the Inspiration, I don't know which tests were asked for. Even if they publish any detailed results (which would be a first) I wouldn't know if these are all the results or just the ones that came out favorable. Considering that the company has known of these issues since last August I find it incomprehensible that neither testing was performed immediately, nor that a solution to any offgassing into the loop has been implemented. That breech of trust of both customers and the general public will linger on with some people for times to come. I'm one of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom