No Idea What This Is

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mola fry looks nothing like a adult Mola mola.
My best guess is a jelly, it reminds you of a fish only because you orienteated the picture that way.

OK guys, sorry to resurrect this thread, but last week I was chatting with a friend who spent last winter in Myrtle Beach. She was showing me photos on her phone when I couldn't believe it but I think this is the same animal that I originally posted from an old 35mm slide in my original post. Much better quality since it's an original instead of a photo of a slide. Can we try again? Pretty sure someone will recognize it this time!
IMG_5004.jpg

I'll amend my prior statement because of this picture - I believe that's a jelly.... No idea what kind though (I'm a fresh water diver...).

OK guys, sorry to resurrect this thread, but last week I was chatting with a friend who spent last winter in Myrtle Beach. She was showing me photos on her phone when I couldn't believe it but I think this is the same animal that I originally posted from an old 35mm slide in my original post. Much better quality since it's an original instead of a photo of a slide. Can we try again? Pretty sure someone will recognize it this time!View attachment 614304
This is exactly what @archman said it was the first time. We commonly see them in NC too.

Cannonball jellyfish looks like a match, after using google image search to narrow it down.

This looks like a jelly fish shortly after the Polyp breaks loose f5rom it's mooring and starts life as a free swimmer. Later on they morph and get a lot bigger. Like the size of a turkey. When they wash up on the beach's like Padre Island after a storm they get gobbled up by seagulls. Storms down there are pretty strong. Sometimes Spanish Doubloons are known to get all the way up in to the Dunes. Debris like sunken boats and parts of houses covered in barnacles come up too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom