No Gallblader and Advanced Open Water Deep Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

88-
The intestinal tract is an incredible machine. I would expect that any gas produced by the cholestramine will be treated the same way as the methane or other gasses produced anywhere in the tract. That is, it will be squished out one end or the other. And the gas is compressible, so if anything it would expand more as you ascended, and be more likely to bother you then by wanting to come out.

Perhaps uncomfortable, perhaps inconvenient, but as a layman, I don't see any *danger* in that. Taking the drug well in advance of the dive would of course help ensure that.

The problem is that after gallbladder surgery the bile is now flowing into my digestive system constantly. This causes problems with my stomach and stuff but my GI doctor put me on cholestyramine about a year ago and it works pretty well. I usually have to go right after I take it or wake up and once I take it I'm usually fine for the rest of the day.
Wow! I had mine removed over 40 years ago. My surgeon told me that the common bile duct would enlarge and take over the roll of storing bile to be released for digestion as needed, but I did have a problem with Tex-Mex food and Pork ribs at times for a few years. Either I adjusted or Tex-Mex restaurants stopped cooking with lard as that seemed to clear up. I think he said something about flatulence, and I have since blamed mine on the surgery, but the OTC meds sold for flatulence seem to work well - especially important in family car trips.

I never worried about it with diving. Are you sure that you need cholestyramine? Reducing fat intake would probably help.

I've had mine removed about 6 years ago, and find that too much greasy food causes me more than just gas........either of which I don't think would be good in a wetsuit, never mind a drysuit!?!

I've only got a few dives in with nothing more than 30', but I can't say that I've had a problem. Of course my operation may have gone differently than yours, and thereby I don't suffer the same ill-effects?

Thanks guys. I changed my diet about 4 months ago so it's only low fat foods for me now. Coffee also seem to be a culprit which is painful since love coffee and used to drink 5 cups a day.
The concern is only the medication (causing trapped gas) so I just wanted to know if other people have been diving to 90 ft or more while taking this medication.

I have been diving for many years but took a break about 3-4 years ago. I am currently getting back into diving by getting Nitrox and Advanved Open Water certifications.
However, about about 2 years ago I had my gallbladder removed.
I think you'd be well served by doing some diving within your current certification level before doing the advanced training dives. Maybe hire a divemaster to buddy with you, and tell him your history in advance. That way if you did forget anything important, he might be able to point it out to you before it became a problem.

Also, there's not a ton of difference between a dive at 60' and a dive at 90'. If nothing else, it might assuage your fears during that class dive some if you've recently done a dive to 60.

Just an update..... Well I did my check out dives for AOW and had no problems whatsoever. After getting my AOW I did a lot of diving in Cozumel and also had no issues with the medication on deep dives. Hopefully, this answers the questions other people may have about this medication.

Flatulence??? I always said that was normal gassing off after a dive. At least I have always gotten away with it as such..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom