NO! Don't take that

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear sandals or sneakers on a LOB. But most do not. Take at least two swim suits. Most LOBs will wash clothes for cheap, so two or three sets of clothes is sufficient. Scuba socks to prevent blisters! Domestic flights can be freezing so I always take a long sleeve shirt. I like to bring my kindle and my bluetooth headphones for the flights and for music on board.

Most people take too many clothes.

I never get sunburned or wear sunscreen in Indo since I'm always staying OUT of that blazing sun. I get sunburned in California since in SF I'm always SEEKING the sun!

If you fly Garuda in Indo (and you should) they allow 23kg for scuba gear PLUS 20 kg for luggage so there should be almost no problem with weight.

Finally -- guess what some 30% of international travelers get - travelers diaherria. (It's not due to bad water, it's because there are different bacteria). Pepto Bismol tabs are a great preventative.

- Bill

Good list Bill! Especially the scubasocks. I never travel with fewer than two pairs (in case I lose one sock, which has happened and caused the blisters to prove it).

Socks to wear under your booties, usually lycra, sometimes neoprene or fleece lined lycra, some people just use regular socks. They help prevent blisters because sliding will occur between sock and bootie, rather than bootie and skin.

Thin lycra socks for inside your booties. Best gear I've ever purchased. :p

Tanks!!! I hate to show my ignorance but what are scuba socks?

Dive socks are absolutely brilliant, mine are Henderson brand, and are the cheapest scuba gear item I own, but worth their weight in gold! I've got like 7-8 pairs in reserve, and always bring 2 pairs on EVERY trip, they are truly brilliant! Henderson's run small, I'm using what they call 'XL' size, but I'm just a men's 10.5 shoe size, so try them in advance of your trip to make sure they fit.

Since you will be diving a lot, you can wear underwear for at least a couple of days, so take half what you really need. Shirts, the one you wear first day becomes the one you wear during the day for a couple of days. A new one the next night which you wear for two nights, then the next few days. You make a shirt last two evenings and then two days. Of course if you can get washed, you can wear a new one only for one day. Shorts can last a few days at least. Two pairs of swimmers at least. A power board for recharging things. Extra computer and spare batteries just in case (put new ones in before trip too). Sunglasses, cap, suntan lotion, books, notebook, pen, notebook/notepad for downloading computer and camera, torch and batteries/charger, camera and accessories, dive card (very important), toiletries, all your dive gear of course, think that covers it all.

I bring and use ear beer on all my trips.
50\50 alcohol and vinegar with a few drops of glycerin. Helps me not get ear infections, I've seen quite a few trips sidled due to divers getting infections.
I also bring ear antibiotics with me in case the ear beer fails to do its job.

As you leave non-necessities at home, make a bit of room for your own travel meds. I will not do a trip of any kind to SE Asia, and especially a diving liveaboard, without my own little kit, which will easily fit in a quart-sized ziploc bag. 'Must haves' for me:

My own Rx meds: Goes without saying ... take them if you need them

Azithromycin (Z-Pack): Six mega-dose tablets of broad spectrum antibiotic that will knock out any infection, including ear infections, in record time. Lesser antibiotics just don't cut it for this purpose.
Ciproflaxin: Aka 'cipro' is the med of choice when your belly and/or digestive tract are not happy with your new diet or water supply.
Cephalexin: Generic for Keflex, good antibiotic for wounds/lacerations. Stuff happens ... be ready for it.
Benadryl: Old standby med for allergic inflammation, rashes, itching, etc. I use it only after dive day is over.
Sudafed, 12-hour dose: Sorry, I'm not going to give up my liveaboard dives with a stuffed head. Yes, I understand conventional diving wisdom about this.
Flonase or generic fluticasone: Steroidal nasal spray that reduces inflammation/swelling of tissues of nose and sinuses (start this before trip and every morning of dive days). If you have ANY issues with your ears, this is a tremendous help.
Advil or generic ibuprofen
Aleve or generic naproxen
Eye drops
Ear drops (for drying ear) Make your own, 50/50 alcohol and white vinegar, plus several drops of glycerin to prevent itchy over-drying

Optional: Cipro ear drops to attack an ear issue externally too.

Some of these will require a Dr's Rx. Hopefully you know your doc well enough, and vice versa, that they'll write an Rx for these preventive meds. In ten trips to Indo I've used all of these items, some repeatedly. I'm not going to assume that a boat on the other side of the world has all of these on hand, and liveaboard days and dives are way too pricey to risk sitting on the boat while your spouse/mate and/or friends splash.

I AM NOT MEDICALLY TRAINED. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH BEFORE TAKING ANYTHING MENTIONED ABOVE. THIS IS WHAT I PACK FOR MY PURPOSES. YMMV

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom