NO! Don't take that

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We will be on our first liveaboard in October (Blue Manta). We know we will only have what we take but don't want to over pack, what do you suggest we not take? What are items newbies take that never leave the suitcase? Thanks, Bill and DeeDee

You'll probably take more clothes than you would need.
You'll probably take more spares than you would need (given you'll be on a dive boat with other divers). Take critical / personal spares for sure, but not the kitchen sink.
If you're doing intense diving (5 a day etc) then a 2nd set of different boots come in handy, and at the very least some band aids / plaster tape for any foot abrasions that you wouldn't notice from a 1 or 2 dive day.
Have fun !

We will leave out of Sorong, dive Misool Fiabacet Boo area, travel to Koon island, then Pulua, then Ring of Fire. 10 day trip, Oct 20 to 30th, hopefully at least one of the spots will have half way decent diving. One suitcase for dive gear, one for essentials and a bottle of booze or two so we are limited on weight. Figure a few pairs of shorts and dive shirts, pair of sneakers for travel and a pair of sandals (bare foot on boat ok?) Sunscreen meds and maybe save a dive stuff. Telling wifey she doesn't need makeup and all her make me pretty crap. Again never done a liveaboard or taken a trip of this magnitude, always had a store down the street for anything we forgot. Thanks for the help/advice.

You will not need shoes on board. I am told some people wear sandles or the like but I have never seen anyone do this. Extra dive shorts means you will be able to put dry shorts on for every dive. A couple of clothespins in case the liveaboard does not have any. Usually they have some. A short extension cord with multiple plugs if you have lots of gear to charge.

I take an extra mask because not all masks fit me. Extra anything that is unique to you and essential for your happiness diving. Most things a liveaboard will have spares of. But if it is essential take a spare. For me that is just a mask and memory cards for my camera.

Minimal clothes - I take a t-shirt a day for half the trip and get them washed at mid trip. My bathing suits double as shorts and a sweatshirt for cold nights. (Rarely used in that part of the world but after four or five dives a day you can get chilled). Most first timers take way too many clothes.

Waterproof tape for fins that wear and in case of scrapes on ladders ropes etc. Lasts a couple of dives or more.

Extra bathing suits
Clothes peg should be larger than standard, preferably will fit around a railing
Your wife might find sundresses comfortable
Ĺeggings and a light sweater

Last edited:
I go barefoot on most LOBs but my last LOB had metal anti slip strips at the edge of every step and I was grateful for some footwear.

I tend to go on two to three week trips (back to back LOBs) and like to take meds including nasal decongestant, anti inflammatory, and antibiotic.

Don’t take pork if you are going to the muslin part of Indonesia. I’ve seen it done but perhaps better not to.

A lot of things have already been covered. From your own list, I noted the bottles of booze. Indonesian customs do not allow more than one bottle per person. More will be confiscated or "taxed". So do not try to sneak more in than you can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom