No dive buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I'm 42 with a back surgery and a shoulder surgery behind me... And could afford to lose 30 or so lbs. I love diving, but not everyone finds it so all consuming. I'd suggest a try dive (if you haven't already) to see if you like being on SCUBA gear, before paying for the whole course. I suspect finding people to dive with won't be a big hurdle... If you ever find yourself in lower Alabama, hit me up!
Regarding the wife... Mine is certified, but rarely dives. She's the very definition of a tourist diver. Not an issue, I just know what I can or can't expect of her in the water.

Respectfully,

James

What a great post.

This is really balanced and useful advice.

Enjoy the journey.

I was cert at 33, 36 now. My wife was cert after me but never really got into it.

Fast forward to now and because the kids are getting into it she sort of has to if she wants to be apart of. But she's found some joy in it, she even gets excited about it a little.

She'll never go cold water wreck diving with me, but she's doing more than I ever expected, she'seven gotten pretty good.... so maybe there's hope?

I was cert by myself, and I have almost as many solo dives as buddy dives. Wouldn't trade it for the world, regardless who's with me. I say go for it, you never know where it'll take you.

Good luck!

OP I was certified as a youngster, that was 53 years ago, 2000+ dives, 10 orthopedic surgeries, including 2 full knee replacements, 3 shoulder ops, 1 medical surgery (non-orthopedic) flat feet, not too smart and I married a girl 47 years ago that was afraid of the water. Never made a diver out of her but she does enjoy snorkeling. I can't dive all the sites I'd like to anymore but I do what I can.

Go for it and good luck!

I have been wanting to get certified for many many years now, but have never done it because I do not know anyone that was interested in diving to take the classes with me and then no dive buddy to dive with afterwards. I think I have decided that I am going to go ahead and get my basic open water and hope to meet people to dive with later. Wish my wife was interested but she is not interested and diving doesn’t seem like something someone should do unless they are totally interested in doing and committed to learning. Just looking for advice, should I take the plunge? I should also add that I will be 45 in September, but am overall healthy other than needed to lose a few pounds.
You do not need anyone to company you to learn diving.
Join a local club if there is one around you.
When I first started I did not have a regular buddy to travel together. You will meet them on the road! BTW, I still do not have a regular buddy after 25yrs.
Do not overthink it.
Enjoy.

You do not need anyone to company you to learn diving.
Join a local club if there is one around you.
When I first started I did not have a regular buddy to travel together. You will meet them on the road! BTW, I still do not have a regular buddy after 25yrs.
Do not overthink it.
Enjoy.

+1

My first dive buddy was married and then children and then golf and then sadly stage 4 cancer. We didn't get the chance to buddy dive much.

I've no regular dive buddy after almost 30 years of diving but I have dive buddies all over the world and good diving friends here at home.

You'll be fine and your age is fine too.

When I first got certified, none of my friends were certified. Since then, though, I’ve met new people that are certified, and even made my own. My wife does not dive, and has no desire to learn. She learned to swim only recently, so is not comfortable enough in water that she can’t stand in. My kids are, however, both certified divers.

Most of the dive shops in my area have events/clubs for connecting divers with buddies. Plus, there are probably Facebook groups in your area.

I did it alone. Look in the regional area here and local FB dive groups. Hell the only reason I still have FB is for the local dive groups to find buddies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom