• NDL are for noobs

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Inappropriate Question

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Im not telling!

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shcubasteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Regardless of microbubble level or computer type, how close to your NDL do you allow your computer to get? I'm comfortable with my decision based on conditions and am curious what others practice. Thanks in advance for voting.

I never do no decompression diving.

EDIT!:

The poll should read:
NO less then 10 minutes remaining
NO less then 8 minutes remaining...

Rock bottom is a turn pressure (i.e. enough gas to get two divers to the surface from depth doing a normal ascent).

What you are describing is called "flying" a computer to the NDL, which IMO is the worst possible dive plan (because in reality there is no plan).

Ummm, rock bottom has been in common use in the english language long before DIR was ever heard of.

Rock bottom is a turn pressure (i.e. enough gas to get two divers to the surface from depth doing a normal ascent).

What you are describing is called "flying" a computer to the NDL, which IMO is the worst possible dive plan (because in reality there is no plan).

I don't use a computer for NDLs any more, but back when I did, it was information. If I knew my profile was going to include a lot of shallow time, I didn't worry very much about pushing the limits in the deeper portion of the dive. I did not do that on square profiles, however.

Ummm, rock bottom has been in common use in the english language long before DIR was ever heard of.
Which doesn't change the fact that "rock bottom" has a specific meaning when it comes to scuba diving.

OBTW, if you were to actually read the article that was linked to, you might discover that "rock bottom" isn't a DIR-specific concept. :coffee:

It Rock Bottom really considered a "turn pressure"? It's not the pressure at which you turn the dive it's more like the pressure that you start to end the dive.

Regardless of microbubble level or computer type, how close to your NDL do you allow your computer to get? I'm comfortable with my decision based on conditions and am curious what others practice. Thanks in advance for voting.

Not enough answers on the poll - there's no section for 5 minutes stops, 10 mins stops etc.

Depends on conditions and the dive. If ive got loads of gas and its worth saying and conditions are nice then i'll go to 10 mins deco, 15 mins deco. Other times i wont.
NDL is not some magic dividing line at all - in reality it doesnt exist.

As for "rock bottom" phrase - if you havent read anything about DIR/GUE chances are you'd have never heard that term before. I cant think of a single diver here who would know its meaning.

Thank you to all who responded.

Semantics...But I should have worded the question better. You have a valid point in the tec arena where 'rock bottom' has a specific meaning.

As I have used the phrase rock bottom here, in layman's terms. My bad

Not enough answers on the poll - there's no section for 5 minutes stops, 10 mins stops etc.

Depends on conditions and the dive. If ive got loads of gas and its worth saying and conditions are nice then i'll go to 10 mins deco, 15 mins deco..

The thread was titled: No Deco Diving. As someone not trained (no desire) in advanced EANx/ deco procedure, I treat my NDL as a line never to be crossed. I know I'm not prepared for deco and will stay within NDL at all times.
Thanks again all who responded.

Back
Top Bottom