No Adjustment Knob - All Mares product

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kebosatu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I just wondering why all Mares 2nds do not have adjustment knob for breathing resistant, and also no venturi to prevent free flow (pre-dive / dive). Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I probably haven't done my research completely, but would be glad if someone can help here.

1. All Mares 2nd are not balanced?
2. How to notice poorly setup Mares 2nd (in case I experience one in the future)? I know this could happen to anyone
3. What's the workaround available when there is no adjustment knob on the 2nd stage?.

Thanks in advance!,
Kebo

I think not having any knobs or levers you have to fiddle with is a good thing. I own a Mares MR 22 Abyss that is over 12 years old and it breaths as just as good at 10 ft. and 140 ft. This might help you with their technology. Technologies - Mares

I've used and owned a few regulators in my time and I don't think I've even used one with an adjustment knob. For me diving is, hook up my gear, turn the air on full, dive. There is no need to muck with anything on the first or second stage. I'd agree with Ontwreckdiver; having no knobs or levers of any kind is a good thing.

The 'workaround' when there is no knob or lever is to use the regulator. No thing else.

I think not having any knobs or levers you have to fiddle with is a good thing. I own a Mares MR 22 Abyss that is over 12 years old and it breaths as just as good at 10 ft. and 140 ft. This might help you with their technology. Technologies - Mares

Hi Ontwreckdiver,

Thanks a lot, this information really helpful. I see the reason why Mares don't do adjustment knob.....

Regards,
Kebo

---------- Post added March 11th, 2014 at 01:33 AM ----------

I've used and owned a few regulators in my time and I don't think I've even used one with an adjustment knob. For me diving is, hook up my gear, turn the air on full, dive. There is no need to muck with anything on the first or second stage. I'd agree with Ontwreckdiver; having no knobs or levers of any kind is a good thing.

The 'workaround' when there is no knob or lever is to use the regulator. No thing else.

HI Scubadiver888,

Thanks for the info!, I'm kinda into Mares product now, just that I worry that it's not properly setup, and in my country where I based, most likely a bit difficult to find shop who really working on Mares product. *there are plenty of dive shops, but not much who carry Mares brand...*

Regards,
Kebo

HI Scubadiver888,

Thanks for the info!, I'm kinda into Mares product now, just that I worry that it's not properly setup, and in my country where I based, most likely a bit difficult to find shop who really working on Mares product. *there are plenty of dive shops, but not much who carry Mares brand...*

Regards,
Kebo

Hopefully, you will spend more money getting your regulators serviced than you will on the initial purchase. For this reason, the cost and ability to get the regulators serviced is a very important part of any good regulator. The last shop I worked at was an authorized Mares service centre. Getting them repaired would have been easy for me. So I like the Mares line. I've heard good things about other regulators, e.g. Apek, but I don't know anyone to service them. So they wouldn't be a good regulator set for me.

Also keep in mind that a good regulator set will last you decades if serviced properly. A good set will also have resale value (unlike say a wetsuit).

Kebosatu,

My personal experience with tuning knobs is that I was always adjusting something,
or forgetting to adjust something and thus not benefiting from the available adjustment.

For example, some 2nd stages regs have a venturi switch to prevent freeflows
on the surface. You have to remember to put the switch in the OFF position
before you spit the reg out; otherwise, it freeflows (usually).

And with the adjustment knobs, that for me is an added service item, although I'm
sure many people will dispute this, but that's just my opinion. The fewer moving parts,
the better.

Hopefully, you will spend more money getting your regulators serviced than you will on the initial purchase. For this reason, the cost and ability to get the regulators serviced is a very important part of any good regulator. The last shop I worked at was an authorized Mares service centre. Getting them repaired would have been easy for me. So I like the Mares line. I've heard good things about other regulators, e.g. Apek, but I don't know anyone to service them. So they wouldn't be a good regulator set for me.

Also keep in mind that a good regulator set will last you decades if serviced properly. A good set will also have resale value (unlike say a wetsuit).

Hi Scubadiver888,

Thanks!, i think I will visit Mares distributor shop first to see how good (or prepared) they are in terms of servicing capability. Hopefully they are very well prepared.

Really look forward to have Mares product.

---------- Post added March 15th, 2014 at 11:03 PM ----------

Kebosatu,

My personal experience with tuning knobs is that I was always adjusting something,
or forgetting to adjust something and thus not benefiting from the available adjustment.

For example, some 2nd stages regs have a venturi switch to prevent freeflows
on the surface. You have to remember to put the switch in the OFF position
before you spit the reg out; otherwise, it freeflows (usually).

And with the adjustment knobs, that for me is an added service item, although I'm
sure many people will dispute this, but that's just my opinion. The fewer moving parts,
the better.

Hi rjk75,

Thank you for your inputs, I agree with you on this. This is why I interested in Mares product, just that when I check on the price, some regulators with those additional service item (venturi,adjustment) sometimes only slightly more than Mares product.

But now I think I know that, no knobs doesn't mean it's lower class.

Thanks and best regards,
Kebo

Back
Top Bottom