Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This theory has been thoroughly debunked.

If he felt better after nitrox, he felt better after nitrox. Nothing to debunk here, move along.

Yeah and there's no evidence that there's no such thing as Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy.

Your point?
So are you one of those folks who insist that something is false until it has been proven to be true?

I asked about Nitrox because I was asked about it on a dive in Curacao. I also looked into some dive charters in Florida that the scuba club in the community my in laws,/now wife's house is in uses and they require Nitrox.

If we start spending winters there I may become more involved in diving.

As I may or may not have said before I started diving after doing a discovery dive on a cruise. I got my OW cert in 2019. I didn't want to spend a lot of time, energy or money diving and intended to do a dive or 2 a year on a cruise. Did 2 cruises that year and dived on both of them, the last in Dec '19.

Then covid hit. We didn't cruise again until Dec '21 when I did 2 dives.

In 2022 we did 4 cruises which were makeups for canceled ones from '20 & '21. I dived more than I intended... diving in Roatan. St. Maarten, st Thomas, St Croix, St Lucia and all three of the ABC islands.

No other cruises are planned this year but we have one booked for late January/early Feb next year.

So I'm just an occasional diver and as I said am reluctant spending a lot of time, energy and money getting certifications and equipment i probably will never use or need, except maybe a dive computer.

I asked about Nitrox because I was asked about it on a dive in Curacao. I also looked into some dive charters in Florida that the scuba club in the community my in laws,/now wife's house is in uses and they require Nitrox.

If we start spending winters there I may become more involved in diving.

As I may or may not have said before I started diving after doing a discovery dive on a cruise. I got my OW cert in 2019. I didn't want to spend a lot of time, energy or money diving and intended to do a dive or 2 a year on a cruise. Did 2 cruises that year and dived on both of them, the last in Dec '19.

Then covid hit. We didn't cruise again until Dec '21 when I did 4 dives.

In 2022 we did 4 cruises which were makeups for canceled ones from '20 & '21. I dived more than I intended... diving in Roatan. St. Maarten, st Thomas, St Croix, St Lucia and all three of the ABC islands.

No other cruises are planned this year but we have one booked for late January/early Feb next year.

So I'm just an occasional diver and as I said am reluctant spending a lot of time, energy and money getting certifications and equipment i probably will never use or need, except maybe a dive computer.
I think the mares puck will work just fine for the type of diving you do. My family has one and it is passed around to family as the previous owner upgrades to a better one and a new member gets certified. We have yet to kill it, it appears pretty sturdy and reliable. As long as you can read it underwater fine, it should suit the type of diving you do just fine.

I don't think you need to get nitrox certified right now as long as not having it isn't limiting your diving. If you are running low on air prior to NDL, there really isn't a need for it. As someone mentioned before, it is mostly useful for dives in the 60-110ft range, particularly if you are doing a few a day or multiple days in a row. It does not sound like this applies to you.

However, if you intend to start diving in Florida, yes, some dive ops do require it. Those are mostly the dive ops that hit the slightly deeper wrecks. If you are just going to be floating around in the shallow reefs in the keys, you don't need it.

I would say get the computer now, and worry about nitrox if/when not having it starts preventing you from missing out on dives you really want to do. The computer is really a safety issue if you are not monitoring your dives with a depth gauge/tables/bottom timer, so it is pretty important unless you want to start diving tables. That being said, nitrox is a pretty "cheap" course (as far as scuba in general goes) and it is not time intensive at all. Online is an option, or a quick 3ish hour class in the shop.

Well, maybe see how you like the idea of Florida diving and then decide whether to take the Nitrox course. You could dive with some operator that does not require Nitrox just to test the waters, so to speak. It's possible you won't find Florida diving worth the effort and will decide to stick to cruise diving.

@mac66
I assume you wife does not dive otherwise a trip to SE Asia might convince you to advance your training.
Have fun.

Wife does not dive. I'm pretty much on my own.

I really appreciate the non-judgmental feedback I'm getting. It's been very helpful.

Trying to keep it simple (and cheap) ...what do people think of the Mares Puck Pro as a entry level, basic computer?
I recommend finding a cheap second hand one to get started with. You can find some at less than 100 GBP here.

If you decide to upgrade, you can resell it at the same price you bought or nearly …

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom