Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"On cruises" are the key words there. That is a very low bar. Try diving outside of cruise ship charters and you'll be hard pressed finding a diver without a computer. I promise you the DM/guide you are trusting has one and possibly two.

I have never been a charter that didn't require each diver to have there own computer.

Hmmm... what did divers do before dive computers?
Tables.

I have never been a charter that didn't require each diver to have there own computer.

Agreed. Dicey cruise ship charters might be the only exceptions. The charters I use all very clearly state that every diver either needs their own computer or a bottom timer/tables.

From what I recall, the clear majority of divers I've seen on cruise-ship dive stops have had computers. Pretty unusual to see folks without them.

From what I recall, the clear majority of divers I've seen on cruise-ship dive stops have had computers. Pretty unusual to see folks without them.

So I should bring my stuff on a cruise just to freak them out.

Well...given that I only dive a couple times a year on cruises I haven't really had the opportunity or desire to put much time into doing much more than basic stuff. I'm happy keeping things simple.

However my wife just inherited her parent's house in central Florida. We expect we will be spending the winters there starting next year. The community it's in has a dive club and frequent (monthly) meetings and dives. I'll look into it next time I'm down there.

And...I started looking at computers so there's that. Any suggestions for a basic, beginner comp?
Given you want a cheap reliable computer for very occasional use I'd look at the mission 1 or mission 2 computers from Atmos. They are color, wrist watch style and very easy to use.

Note to OP - there are some very basic dive computers that start in the $200 range. It doesnt sound like you plan to get into technical diving, so a basic computer may be fine (BTW, even the most basic computers have Nitrox settings, if you ever go that route, although I agree that right now you should not). However, if you want to spend more to get a great computer with more advanced features, thats fine too.

Things such as screen readability and easy battery replacement/rechargeability may be things to consider.

To reiterate, you really should not be diving without you, yourself tracking your NDL (no decompression limit) either w a computer or tables (plus depth gauge & timing device)

I actually see quite a few divers on cruise W/O them.
They used dive tables, a depth gauge, and a dive watch.

You don't need a dive computer. But by the time you get a depth gauge and dive watch, you are more than half way to a basic dive computer.

A dive computer is way more valuable to a diver than a nitrox cert, if you can't afford both.

Cruise divers w/o a computer are the lowest common denominator. Do you really want to go that low?

I actually see quite a few divers on cruise W/O them.
I don't mean to pile on to the other replies urging you to get a computer, but you could also think about the fact that those "quite a few divers on cruise" are not coming here to ScubaBoard to ask good questions, as you have. Maybe you are more conscientious than those other cruise divers. You have already differentiated yourself from them just by asking questions. Like most every responsible diver these days, you should have a computer, know how to use it, and at least do some super-basic planning of the dive with it before you splash.

Back
Top Bottom