Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But of course, any op that offers "free" nitrox just figures it into the cost of doing business, based on their estimate of how many of their divers want it, along with gas, salaries, etc., to come up with their price for a two tank trip to the reefs. It ain't free. Nothing is free; you just pay for it in other ways.

I consider NITROX the cheapest and most effective dive 'insurance' money can buy! Given the average overall cost of a dive trip, the extra cost of NITROX is merely a rounding error in the overall budget.
DAN says otherwise, but then who believes them? :shakehead:

Nitrox gives longer bottom times, yes - but just does not increase safety. Great to use on square bottom, deeper profiles like wrecks in various destinations like Florida, North Carolina, Saint Lawrence river, or Texas Flower Garden reefs of the places I've dived - but a waste of money for many multi-level dives, with exceptions. I've opted for Nitrox when it was a bargain, but there are few of such on Coz. It's hard to find at many destinations because of the lack of value in some diving.

Going up in buddy pairs sounds nice…but do you always know who your buddy is?Dave DillehayAldora Divers
Yeah, I feel like I am babysitting when I am paired with a diver I don't know, as I have no idea what s/he may be like as a diver, especially if caca hits the fan - but I do feel responsible for him/her, even though I had no idea if s/he will cooperate. My home dive bud & I have agreed plans & approaches, but he's not diving these days. Eh, I never trusted him for help anyway, but at least we had some agreements worked out. Otherwise, I'm a solo diver with or without an insta-bud. Love my pony bottle.

My primary computer is a Suunto Mosquito. After 3 days of diving 2 tanks/day on air only, my NDL becomes seriously limited.
That's a buyer error as they penalize your time but do not add safety.

I'm a firm believer in the "No free lunch" theory but it is a cheap lunch. Right across the channel from Coz wholesale air is 20 pesos and 32% is 40 pesos. So a buck and a half difference or less. Nitrox is a large markup item for a dive boat. I still pay for it. They need the money.
Yeah, Nitrox can be more of a hassle to provide, but not worth a $10 upgrade or hidden charge when there is no benefit.

Free nitrox but timed dives right? Unless they are offering credit for what is left in the tank, the price for liter of gas seems way more expensive. I ran 80+ minutes on Francesa today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom