Nitrox worth it for 3 days on Key Largo reefs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anchochile

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm planning 3 days of diving with Rainbow Reef in October when I'm in Florida. I called them up and they told me that as a relatively new OW diver (I'll probably have 20-25 dives by the time I'm there), they'd put me on boats going to the shallower reefs and wrecks - probably nothing below 40 feet, with most of the diving being 25-35 fsw on reefs.

Assuming I do morning & afternoon trips each day, so 4 dives a day and 12 dives over the three days, would there be any value in using nitrox? If I'm diving air, will I start to run into NDLs, or will the dives be too shallow for that to be a factor?

I'm not Nitrox-certified, but if folks think it would be worthwile for this trip, I can get it done with a local shop in the next few months. I'm thinking it probably won't be necessary, but would love any advice.

Its not necessary for those shallow reef dives.

The shallow wreck dive is the Benwood, and there is a spot you can get down to 70 feet there. But if your on the shallow boat they will probably tie up on a shallower buoy. Even if you did go to 70 feet there, since that would be the only dive that would be considered a little deeper, Nitrox wouldn't benefit you.

Have fun and take some pics, great stuff on the shallow reefs too.

For 40 feet and shallower I see no benefit for Nitrox in terms of avoidance of decompression illness. There might be some value in reducing nitrogen loading into your system and how it affects your subjective feeling many divers express of fatigue and somnolensce after multiple days of diving with air.

No but what the heck go see my buddy Orlando in the shop one evening and get your Nitrox and go dive it once. Your going to end up getting it anyways :)

In 2013 I did what you're talking about, only 4 dives/day for 5 days, with some deep wreck dives thrown in, and I dove air (nitrox wasn't an option with the 100-cf tanks they let me use, at that time; I don't know why); didn't have NDL issues.

In some destinations it can matter. 4 Dives/day in St. Croix, for example, and on dive #4 I'd be watching that NDL (12 dives over 3 days with air).

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom