Nitrox Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A little off-topic but I felt a lot fresher when doing min-deco stops. Still feel ready to go after 4 dives.

A little off-topic but I felt a lot fresher when doing min-deco stops. Still feel ready to go after 4 dives.
Well, there IS this theory going about that people who feel tired after their dives might actually be suffering sub-clinical dcs and more/longer stops, slower ascent rates and such might alleviate that. If thats the case it may of course also, extend to why some people claim to feel fresher when diving nitrox, especially on "air profiles" as it would mean less nitrogen in their system..

stuff...
...some people claim to feel fresher when diving nitrox, especially on "air profiles" as it would mean less nitrogen in their system..

This is the key point. Nitrox dived on air tables (or with air setting on your dive computer) is more conservative than diving air. You may well find you feel less tired if you use nitrox in this way.
Of course then you loose the other benefits of nitrox - shorter surface intervals and longer NDL...

I took the PADI course, not online. Read the material, do the quizzes, meet the instructor and go through the materials, take the test and analyze some tanks. Easy and not a tremendous amount of time involved. I did it prior to a live aboard trip. 4-5 dives/day make it worth the effort and if feeling better after 4-5 dives is a placebo, so be it, I'll take it. At +/-60 I am willing to be placebo'd.:D

This is the key point. Nitrox dived on air tables (or with air setting on your dive computer) is more conservative than diving air. You may well find you feel less tired if you use nitrox in this way.
Of course then you loose the other benefits of nitrox - shorter surface intervals and longer NDL...

Yeah, but the conservatism as mentioned is neglible, and although the theory seems sane, its not proven. Also, the problem IF subclinical DCS is present is not the gas, but the way the dive was conducted..

Edit: the course is easilly done as part of a dive [-]course[/-] day. Added bonus is you might end up with an instructor to yourself for the day and be able to do whatever you want instead of sticking with a group...

Last edited:
I use Nirtox on lobster dives doing 15+ dives over 2 1/2 days. I used to do them on air, but I feel better on Nitrox. It is not a scientific study but neither was the "scientific" study on Nitrox.

I checked out the study on the effects of Nitrox, but it is one simulated dive in a chamber using the subjective feelings of the subjects, science at it's best. One dive or three, I feel no difference as well.

I agree with Tigerman that it may be an effect of sub clinical DCS, but whatever, there is a noticeable difference which not just due to placebo. Personally, I'm waiting for a real study to clear it all up.

Bob
-------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom