Nitrox Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nemapea

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

Just had a question around doing the Nitrox certification. I'm a pretty comfortable diver, and I like to make the most of my dive time, which usually means liveaboard holidays with 4 dives a day. Problem is, I tend to get pretty tired, so I was thinking about doing the Nitrox certification as people have told me it helps to keep you fresh. Taking a quick look at courses, I can see a theory only course that can be done in an evening, or a course including a couple of dives. Problem is, I reeeally don't like the idea of diving in cold water in the UK (I have mostly dived in SE Asia). Just wondering what people's thoughts are..

Is it pointless to do the theory only course without practically applying it?
Would I be able to use Nitrox on a liveaboard if all I have done is the theory course?
If I were to try and organise to do the course while I was away on a trip, would it eat into my holiday much or would I barely notice it?

Thanks!

Nitrox is primarily theory. The only real "hands-on" part of the class is using a Nitrox analyzer to analyze tanks. Although I generally think that getting more dives with an instructor is a good idea at any time, if the question is whether you get a Nitrox card or not, do the theory class at home.

But feeling fresher after using Nitrox is debatable. It is mostly a placebo effect. That said it can be somewhat safer when doing multiple dives for a couple of days.

4 dives a day,nitrox or not,pretty tired camper!!
ive never noticed feeling fresher,but have logged some longer duration.
as lynn said,do the theory at home
course is usually very inexpensive
and you get a better grasp on your diving physiology
have fun
yaeg

Hello,

Just had a question around doing the Nitrox certification. I'm a pretty comfortable diver, and I like to make the most of my dive time, which usually means liveaboard holidays with 4 dives a day. Problem is, I tend to get pretty tired, so I was thinking about doing the Nitrox certification as people have told me it helps to keep you fresh. Taking a quick look at courses, I can see a theory only course that can be done in an evening, or a course including a couple of dives. Problem is, I reeeally don't like the idea of diving in cold water in the UK (I have mostly dived in SE Asia). Just wondering what people's thoughts are..

Is it pointless to do the theory only course without practically applying it?
Would I be able to use Nitrox on a liveaboard if all I have done is the theory course?
If I were to try and organise to do the course while I was away on a trip, would it eat into my holiday much or would I barely notice it?

Thanks!
Since you mentioned live aboards...
we often see divers taking the Nitrox course. It does not interfere with their free time (well except maybe when they are sitting inside reading instead of outside lying in the sun). You will also have multiple DMs available for the full week to ask questions and use as additional learning resource. So I would recommend doing it during a live aboard trip as it does fill some of your down time.

If you are tired, stop swimming so much. Slow down and look at the little critters.

And remember, that if you push the NDLs, Nitrox is no safer than air since you are accumulating the same amount of nitrogen. You are generally just doing it a little deeper.

so an a live aboard, swim less and stay a bit shallow & enjoy!

Theres no evidence of nitrox actually making you less tired and the "added safety" is insignificant due to how safe recreational diving actually is in the first place. Some people claim they are less tired when diving nitrox, others claim theres no difference - Im with the latter, I notice no difference at all.

What you DO notice however is that youll be able to do longer bottom times and potentially shorter SIs - provided you have a low enough gas consumption to make use of it..

In the Nitrox course you will learn that the "feeling better" is a placebo effect. Also, the safety factor is less than a percentage point over air, so it is negligible. Nitrox is designed to give you more NDL and/or shorter bottom times. Period.

In the Nitrox course you will learn that the "feeling better" is a placebo effect. Also, the safety factor is less than a percentage point over air, so it is negligible. Nitrox is designed to give you more NDL and/or shorter bottom times. Period.

It may be placebo but I'll take it. And it can keep you way away from NDL's and I think that's good for old geezers.

You mention an online course, just beware, there is one or two "agencies" that will certify you, but good luck finding an operation that recognizes the certification.

For Nitrox, I'd stick with one of the big agencies. I don't know about the others, but PADI can be done all online, except for the practical part; this can be knocked out in an hour or so at a PADI shop as you analyze tanks. No dives required.

And as far as feeling "fresher", there's no proof to support it. I've had Nitrox dives where I've felt better and one or two that I've felt worse.

Back
Top Bottom