Nitrox the Wonder Gas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes but I don't know that much about the physiological aspects in play here. You would have to exhale fully as well.

Am Nitrox cert and never expected to be relieved of narcosis or fatigue with Nitrox. We use Nitrox to improve the margin of safety re DCS. One aspect of this that has not been explicitly mentioned is the "time to fly" interval and its relationship to multiple dives. The cumulative negative effects of multiple dives are presumably reduced with Nitrox because of the signficant reduction in the nitrogen load resulting from Nitrox use. That alone justifies its use.

Guba:
Okay, I'm making my predictions now...
1) Those who use Nitrox will (having paid for the class, the computer and the tank) swear by how much it helps.
2) Those who have not gotten Nitrox certified will agree whole-heartedly with the good doctor's statements.
3) Virtually NO divers who are Nitrox certified will say it was a waste of time and money.

I have no stake in the outcome. I'm just curious to see how the discussion plays out. Now, let the games resume!

My bet is that someone has already beat me to this, but "IT WAS A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY".

My tanks are filled with air and my computer is used in either air or gauge mode. I was fooled by the same misrepresentations stated by the OP.
I was suprised because both myself and my wife were told by two different shops and 4 diffrent divering instructors (maybee more) that items 1-4 were indeed the benefits of using Nitrox. For everyones talk about the added NDL time and of course nobody is mentioning that if your diving to your NDL limit you still need the same amout of SI before you can continue as you do with air. Additionally nobody is saying a word about oxygen toxicity?
I had the exact experience. Nitrox was oversold as a miracle gas to sell me on taking the course. During the course you learn that the claims are BS but by them you have already invested the time and money.

So, what all of you are saying is that Nitrox does NOT allow for extended bottom times vs air and these Nitrox tables are a lie and it is all a spoof ?

N

Considering that there is still oxygen in the air we breathe OUT, I would assume that no, we can not use more oxygen from the higher mix.
Longer botomn times is the very reason to use nitrox tho, so I dont think wed be arguing that nitrox work for that purpose Nemrod?

A slow respiratory rate with larger tidal volumes (slow, deep breaths) IS more efficient breathing, but it's mostly more efficient for eliminating CO2. Although oxygen diffuses more slowly than CO2, it is not necessary to prolong the period where air is held in the small air spaces to improve O2 absorption. Anybody with normal lungs is receiving enough oxygen from normal breathing within any range of exertion in normal diving. Nitrox is not necessary to increase the oxygen available at depth. The increased oxygen is the way to decrease the inert gas absorption and maximize safe bottom time.

There is one stated benefit of Nitrox and that is reduced Nitrogen absorption. How you use that benefit is up to you. All the other touted benefits are vaporware IMO.

Some of us use it to increase bottom time and some don't. I dive it primarily to reduce my Nitrogen absorption, and because I dive a lot with new divers I rarely get the opportunity to push the NDL on Nitrox. I have once or twice run up the O2 clock to where I couldn't dive anymore because I did so many dives, but that takes a buddy who won't make you come up early and lots of diving.

To be honest I'm more inclined now to say that I don't enjoy pushing the limits anymore, I'm getting wiser and would like to be around to enjoy my retirement in 20 years or so.

cummings66:
To be honest I'm more inclined now to say that I don't enjoy pushing the limits anymore, I'm getting wiser and would like to be around to enjoy my retirement in 20 years or so.
Personally Im in favour of getting a fat disability retirement compensation while I still have the health to enjoy it :p

The only reason I would use Nitrox is the extended bottom time. I have used it just for that purpose. The Nitrox tables, depending on the mix, allow for REAL and SIGNIFICANT increases in bottom time and allow for a greater safety margin if dived on an air profile. I still don't understand why all the argung. Is this disputed----greater bottom times, greater safety magin as described? Please provide the documentation that proves Nitrox does not allow extended bottom times (vs air at the same depth) and greater safety margin if dived on an air profile.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom