Nitrox tank labeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasonmh

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was wondering what the DIR compliant answer is to labeling of Nitrox tanks. I am planning on getting my own tank to use for Nitrox and want to know how it should be labeled, marked, etc.
thanks,
Jason

Jasonmh:
I was wondering what the DIR compliant answer is to labeling of Nitrox tanks. I am planning on getting my own tank to use for Nitrox and want to know how it should be labeled, marked, etc.
thanks,
Jason

All you need on the tank is a current VIP that states that your tank is O2 clean for the purposes of partial pressure blending, the rest is just fluff. Any LDS that won't fill your tank because you don't have a huge "ENRICHED AIR NITROX" sticker wrapped around it doesn't deserve your business.

As far as a DIR compliant answer goes, a sticker can potentially hide rust/corrosion so why have it if it's not needed?

melfox26:
All you need on the tank is a current VIP that states that your tank is O2 clean for the purposes of partial pressure blending, the rest is just fluff. Any LDS that won't fill your tank because you don't have a huge "ENRICHED AIR NITROX" sticker wrapped around it doesn't deserve your business.

As far as a DIR compliant answer goes, a sticker can potentially hide rust/corrosion so why have it if it's not needed?

I use masking tape on the tank to indicate current fill (who analysed, percentage of O2, PSI, MOD etc.) as well as a bit of masking tape over the valve to indicate tank is empty.

if I take a tank that has either no tape over the valve or no contents tape, then I have to re-analyse and mark the tank.

luckily my store uses membrane system so I don't need O2 clean inspection sticker.

since both pieces of tape are only for the current fill then they don't stay on the tank so shouldn't obscure corrosion etc.

Jasonmh:
thanks,
Jason

If it's deco/stage tank it must have big MOD label on both sides of the tank.

Thanks for the answers.

MonkSeal:
If it's deco/stage tank it must have big MOD label on both sides of the tank.

So I am assuming that means that the tank/tanks on your back do not have to be labeled with a big MOD sticker? Is the thinking on that because you can't see the tank on your back so having it labeled would be usless underwater, as opposed to a deco/stage bottle that you can see?

I believe the tape over the valve means it's full, not empty, which would match up with the second paragraph.

limeyx:
I use ...as well as a bit of masking tape over the valve to indicate tank is empty.

if I take a tank that has either no tape over the valve or no contents tape, then I have to re-analyse and mark the tank.

Dan Gibson:
I believe the tape over the valve means it's full, not empty, which would match up with the second paragraph.

I've seen scuba shops that tape full tanks, probably to keep the oring in place and let people know the tank si full. However in this case, I think limeyx really does mean tape on empty tanks, otherwise why bother analyze an empty tank?

Jasonmh:
So I am assuming that means that the tank/tanks on your back do not have to be labeled with a big MOD sticker? Is the thinking on that because you can't see the tank on your back so having it labeled would be usless underwater, as opposed to a deco/stage bottle that you can see?

I think the thinking is that you should have discussed your dive plan with your buddy and already selected the appropriate gas for the profile, so you don't need to mark it with large MOD numbers. The deco/stage bottles are marked to verify during gas switching.

Jasonmh:

That, and you're not very likely to accidentally switch to the wrong gas with the tanks on your back..... :)

The reasons why you label deco bottles/stage tanks is that you may have several slung under your left arm. When it comes time to switch to one of them, you need to be able to determine *absolutely* that you are switching to the correct gas by comfirming the MOD on the tank and following a strict switching procedure.

I'm referring to the tape over the valve, not next to it. I'm sure RTodd will be along any minute to confirm this. It's a George or WKPP procedure.

do it easy:
I've seen scuba shops that tape full tanks, probably to keep the oring in place and let people know the tank si full. However in this case, I think limeyx really does mean tape on empty tanks, otherwise why bother analyze an empty tank?

Edit: Here is the procedure I was referring to.
http://www.wkpp.org/gasandmarking.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom