Nitrox set up question on PST-80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just bought a PST-HP-80 and i would like to have it set up for using nitrox.

This tank came with a NRX nitrox ready valve installed into the tank when shipped. So naturally i know were i stand with the valve being already prep for nitrox.

What i don't know and according to the instructions that came with the tank, }quote} if the EAN ready valve is to be used with enriched breathing air , this valve has to be installed into a cylinder which has been already cleaned and tested for ean use. Common sense.

My question , is the cylinder pre cleaned for nitrox compatibility at the factory prior before the NRX nitrox ready valve has been installed.?

The information stated that a internal insprection was conducted prior the valve installation. So i quess the way i can take it is that it's totally ready for nitrox and all it needs is a ean sticker. No comment in the info stating the cyl is nitrox cleaned.

I love the tank.

Hey guys, give me some insite on this subject.

thanks much:

My PST E-8 130's came oxygen cleaned from the factory. I think all their tanks are shipped O2 clean. Read the information sheet that should have come with your tank.

I don't know what kind of replies you expect. The only person who could know whether your tank is nitrox ready is the person that shipped it to you. So call him/her. If (s)he doesn't know for sure you will have to have the tank O2 cleaned.
The risk is too big to be messing around.

ALL PST cylinders come thru from the factory O2 cleaned, and ready for partial pressure Nitrox blending in the cylinder. Valve is also O2 cleaned (even though it does not say that in the info provided, its a CYA policy by Thermo). The sheet of paper that they provide with the cylinder is very clear.

Thanks to everybody that replyed. Maybe i missed something or maybe everyone else that read my post did the same. It states in the information that came with the tank that the valve installed was nitrox ready.

It also states on the green tag that , "quote" IF THIS VALVE IS TO BE USED WITH OXYGEN ENRICHED BREATHING AIR, THIS VALVE MUST BE INSTALLED IN A CYLINDER WHICH HAS BEEN CLEANED & TESTED FOR OX ENRICHED BREATHING AIR USE.

So i can say that since this NRX nitrox ready valve was previously installed from the factory onto the tank that the tank must be also 02 cleaned. I see nothing in the info that came with the tank that it said that the clyinder was 02 cleaned.

Therefore after my first post i tryed to access WWW.pstscuba.com but the site was under construction.

I should probably called these people but with the weekend i thought someone would probably know about this on the board.

Many thanks.

Garfish:
Thanks to everybody that replyed. Maybe i missed something or maybe everyone else that read my post did the same. It states in the information that came with the tank that the valve installed was nitrox ready.

It also states on the green tag that , "quote" IF THIS VALVE IS TO BE USED WITH OXYGEN ENRICHED BREATHING AIR, THIS VALVE MUST BE INSTALLED IN A CYLINDER WHICH HAS BEEN CLEANED & TESTED FOR OX ENRICHED BREATHING AIR USE.

So i can say that since this NRX nitrox ready valve was previously installed from the factory onto the tank that the tank must be also 02 cleaned. I see nothing in the info that came with the tank that it said that the clyinder was 02 cleaned.

Therefore after my first post i tryed to access WWW.pstscuba.com but the site was under construction.

I should probably called these people but with the weekend i thought someone would probably know about this on the board.

Many thanks.

All tanks come O2 clean whether they specify or not. It simply means there are no oils etc in the tank. They do not have an * O2 * line and a * regular * line at the factory. They are all the same.

Laser:
All tanks come O2 clean whether they specify or not. It simply means there are no oils etc in the tank. They do not have an * O2 * line and a * regular * line at the factory. They are all the same.
Where do you get this from? Whether a tank is nitrox ready depends on [1] the manufacturing environment, and [2] the shipping method.

ScubaRon:
Where do you get this from? Whether a tank is nitrox ready depends on [1] the manufacturing environment, and [2] the shipping method.

I get this from the PSI course I took Friday.
Tell me what they do at the factory different?

This is in no way an expert opinion, just my two cents from my humble experience.
From my understanding all tanks are shipped from the factory sealed with a plastic cap and O2 clean. Valves are shipped seperatly also sealed and O2 clean.
Having said that, LDC puts the tanks together and depanding on their procedures the tanks might not be O2 clean.
Depanding what kind of lubricant they use for the valve thread and the O-ring, how clean is their work station, and if they pre-fill their tanks with regular air from a compressor that is not designed for Nitrox.

So in my opinion the only person that can answer the original question is the LDC where you got the tanks.
If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Back
Top Bottom