Nitrox Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDocER:
For the EANx Diver certification at least two dives are to be
planed and safely executed using EANx, one of which is to be
a repetitive dive.

I believe if you'll check again, you may find NAUI has two different nitrox certifications, one requiring dives, the other does not.

Walter,
In the double blind study you referenced did you notice the section where the relationship between fatigue and DCS was mentioned. (If I read it correctly) moderate to severe fatigue could be an indication of DCS or DCS stress, a relationship not completely understood in recreational diving conditions.

If so, I wonder if the reduced N loading attributed to EAN use reduces the risk/intensity of DCS stress and that is why some divers report a feeling of less fatigue. Perhaps what they are really experiencing is decreased DCS stress?

If that were true I wonder if the study was conducted in such a way as to induce DCS stress? If not, the decreased fatigue noted by EAN divers would not manifest itself.

Now I question whether the body can utilize the additional O2 or not. I don't know the answer.

Could it be that the extra O2 is irrelevant, the important thing being that there is less N2? Especially (and this is my pet, unproven conjecture a/k/a a theory I pulled out of my assets) the effect of a higher gas gradient on inhibiting bubble formation? Which in turn (another unproven conjecture) reduces the body's immune system reaction a/k/a sub-clinical DCS?

All unproven wishful thinking, of course.

I believe if you'll check again, you may find NAUI has two different nitrox certifications, one requiring dives, the other does not.

I'll check again. When I went to the section under Nitrox diver that's what was stated. There is Nitrox class that you can take that goes over the theory of Nitrox but does not cover actual dives. You receive a "Nitrox Program" certification. The other is a "Nitrox Diver" certification. I am at work and will have to review that at home but I am not sure you can dive with the former. Will update this in the morning. Thanks Walter.

I found the other section you were referring to.

"This course may be taught as a NAUI Recognition Program if
the open water training dives are not included. Recognition
may be upgraded to EANx Diver certification upon completion
of the required dives under supervision of a NAUI EANx
Instructor."

I think this is what you were referring to.

Here is an article that discusses O2 supersaturation during sports performance.
Ergogenic Aids
The interesting part is the thought that higher O2 concentrations during activity causes the respiritory muscles to work less (respiritory rate decreases as O2% increases). This reduction in WOB can either 1.) reduce the actual overall exertion rate, thus reducing fatigue or 2.) trigger a perception that there is a lower overall exertion rate, ie. a placebo effect (athletes get a sense of their exertion rate from their WOB).

ScubaDocER:
When I went to the section under Nitrox diver that's what was stated. There is Nitrox class that you can take that goes over the theory of Nitrox but does not cover actual dives. You receive a "Nitrox Program" certification. The other is a "Nitrox Diver" certification. I am at work and will have to review that at home but I am not sure you can dive with the former.

People do dive with it all the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom