Nitrox on OW course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not quite sure what the issue is. I like to think that not all people are retards and that, given the liability, the instructor would have properly analyzed the tanks. It's an OW course so it's safe to assume that it was a shallow dive and well within the limits of a common mix. Mountains out of mole hills...

Do you guys want to take your discussion into a new thread - whether or not nitrox makes you feel better after a dive is no really in scope of this one.....

Oh, FWIW, it depends on the dive, the total nitrogen loading, the ascent rate and individual physiology. So you're probably both right.

Do you guys want to take your discussion into a new thread - whether or not nitrox makes you feel better after a dive is no really in scope of this one.....

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/313497-does-nitrox-make-you-feel-better-split-nitrox-ow-course.html

Even a 36EAN mix has a mod of ~113'. I highly doubt if nitrox is used in that situation that OW divers are going to be diving to 113'. More than likely its a 32EAN mix which has a MOD higher than 130' which is outside the rec limits anyway. I have heard of an instructor using 30EAN on 60' checkout dives and continuing to make the students use air tables and computer settings to increase the safety level. I don't know who did this I was just told this by a fellow diver.

Which nitrox class did you take? The MOD for 32 is 111ft. for 36 it is 90. What PPO2 levels are you basing your statement on? I know what mine are.

I did a dive with an instructor with both of us using nitrox two days before I did my nitrox cert with him. We had a hard bottom of 30 feet in a lagoon during the entire dive. I don't think he was in any way reckless and I don't think it was any big deal to do it. My wife isn't nitrox certified. If we were going to do a hard bottom 30 foot dive I'd have no problem giving her a nitrox tank.

I'm not quite sure what the issue is. I like to think that not all people are retards and that, given the liability, the instructor would have properly analyzed the tanks. It's an OW course so it's safe to assume that it was a shallow dive and well within the limits of a common mix. Mountains out of mole hills...

- SkimFisher
[PADI AOW, Nitrox]

("dove" is a bird, not a verb):D

Actually in my Random House Webster's College Dictionary "dove" is a verb, past tense of "dive".

In BSAC, ocean divers(open water) are certifed nitrox. Its part of the course taught.

So i guess its differs from each agency.

which nitrox class did you take? The mod for 32 is 111ft. For 36 it is 90. What ppo2 levels are you basing your statement on? I know what mine are.

1.6... I can tell by those #'s you are using 1.4.
1.6 isn't that liberal and I use it all the time.

This is another example of the "Oh my!" over reaction. If the dives were shallow and the mix was indeed checked by a professional what's the big deal? Really, Nitrox is not some exotic, mystical mix of super special gases, it is just a little more oxygen.

As for the "dumbing down of certs in favor of profits." comment, I just don't see any dumbing down or additional profits being made by the OP's post.

Fact: Nitrox is cheap and certainly will do no harm to the student in a teaching environment. It only becomes dangerous at depths far below any open water student would be going.

got to agree ,

maybe the instructor just wanted an extra degree of safety as he brought the students a little deeper.

so unless the guy was bringing them out to a wall or deep site where a toxic hit could be possible I see no problem.

as far as nitrox as a try-out dive I think this is pointless its not like you can compare the effect, sure you can be shown the tables. but general there is no physical difference in the gas unless its a very physical dive and you notice you don't have to breath as hard.

on the idea of certification ummm thats a laugh no check out dive with an instructor .class room only . that will keep you at your mod ,I would prefer to see a dive or two without referance where they prove they can stay at a given depth

1.6... I can tell by those #'s you are using 1.4.
1.6 isn't that liberal and I use it all the time.
If you dive 1.6, what is your contingency ppo2 or do you just dive without one?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom