Nitrox: No Decompression Limit - Ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like you either didn’t set the computer PO2 correctly or you do not understand the data you are seeing. 99 is probably minutes to the NDL at that your current depth.

Having a computer and not knowing how to use it is worse than no computer at all. You get a false sense of "I've got a computer so I'll be OK". Whether you use tables or a computer, at >100' it's imperative you know exactly what's happening.

On the I300 the NDL is displayed as 99 as long as you have 99 minutes OR more till NDL. As you ascend your time changes based on the new NDL and, given the depth you were at, it was probably dropping below 99 minutes on a regular basis during the ascent. Now, whether you have your other settings correct, or not, will also come into play.

Erik

I wish I could set my PDC into some sort of training mode while on land. I'd like to be able to go through all of the screens and clearly see exactly what is displayed where as if I were say, 40 feet down. It's one thing to look at images in a book or online and something else to be able to actually push buttons to experience what happens.

You have the manual and you have the instructor who taught you the Nitrox course, and still you don't know how to use your computer and what deco is. I facepalmed so hard (especially when I saw the http://divecomputertraining.com/ )

Your questions imply that you had a really lousy instructor for your Nitrox course.

Last edited:
Your questions imply that you had a really lousy indsructor for your Nitrox course.

He's not alone. I can't tell you how many certified nitrox divers I've met that have no clue about basic enriched air principles. Maybe it's because you need to understand the basics of using dive tables or do some basic math to calculate NDLs and MODs. And since no one teaches tables anymore and since (almost) everyone using computers have forgotten how to use tables, we have what we have.

He's not alone. I can't tell you how many certified nitrox divers I've met that have no clue about basic enriched air principles. Maybe it's because you need to understand the basics of using dive tables or do some basic math to calculate NDLs and MODs. And since no one teaches tables anymore and since (almost) everyone using computers have forgotten how to use tables, we have what we have.

Kinda sorta. Most recreational EANx courses teach enough that the OP should not be asking these questions. The real problem is that the OP is COMPLETELY clueless about how their computer works. First it was a Deco obligation, then ascent speed, then partial pressure violation. Methinks that none happened to the OP. The PDC OTOH got bent and died of O2 toxicity. RIP.

Back
Top Bottom