Nitrox lessons $150 bucks--Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001 once bubbled...
More repetative dives is more bottom time. The only thing that matters is more bottom time. The rest is blah blah. ...

I am glad you pointed that out. Or else he might think it only amounts to more bottom time on any given dive.

So what you mean is more bottom time, in total, on any given dive AND/OR with respect to more repetitive dives as well.

I believe the main advantage to nitrox is more repetitive dives. Simply because most divers burn through the breathing gas in their tanks, whether it is air or nitrox.

Sure, they could buy larger tanks, and get more bottom time on nitrox that way. But relatively few do this. Most just dive with an 80 cu ft tank, still, just that it now has nitrox in it.

Blah-blah-blah is hard to avoid, when it comes to clarification. :)

awap once bubbled...
If you don't do more than a couple dives a day and are satisfied with your bottom times and NDL safety margins; then probably not. I am nitrox certified but only use it for live-aboard diving (TX Flower Gardens) where safety limits are easily pushed. I find it unnecessary for typical land based, couple dives a day trips and for local diving. But it's nice to have an option if you ever decide to push a "no-fly" time or something like that. There is no doubt in my mind that it makes me feel much better (less tired) when you are doing 4 to 5 dives a day with profiles that are NDL limited on air.

$150.00 sounds a bit high but if it includes books, tables, and dives; it's not unreasonable.

Souds a lot low to me!! for an ANDI CSU program, I get $275 per student with a class size of 4 or more and many students continue onto advanced diving activities.. I doteach PADI and TDI programs if specifically requested (I usually get them to take the ANDI program) and would charge less since the classes are much much shorter.

my classes on average take 10-12 hours of lecture (I have had a few run longer with weaker students) and 2 dives.. You get what you pay for (or hopefully thats the case)..

IndigoBlue once bubbled...

<snip>

So what you mean is more bottom time, in total, on any given dive AND/OR with respect to more repetitive dives as well.

<snip>

LOL

Yes. We're on the same page.

R..

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

That's just scary.

I'd be interested in the name of the course as well. That way, I can make sure that we never honor the cards.

So, are you planning on blackballing all the TDI and PADI certs or just the TDI Nitrox certs? Maybe just from that shop?

This looks to me like an LDS that is working to evolve and find a profitable place in the e-market. I'm not sure they have the right solution, but I like the direction they are heading.

awap once bubbled...

So, are you planning on blackballing all the TDI and PADI certs or just the TDI Nitrox certs? Maybe just from that shop?

This looks to me like an LDS that is working to evolve and find a profitable place in the e-market. I'm not sure they have the right solution, but I like the direction they are heading.
[/QUOTE

I would have to agree with you. If it's just the classwork that is online and a person still has to go to the shop and pass whatever skills and dives that are required, then I don't personally see anything wrong with that. There are a lot of people who work schedules that do not allow them to take normal classes. this lets them do the work on their time and then get with the instructor to complete the certification. I for one would take advantage of this kind of training.

There are a couple of reasons to take NITROX:

1)Longer bottom times (at certain depths mainly recreational)

2)It keeps you from your NDL limit

3)Helps prevent getting bent.

#3 is largely debatable and no agency has put #3 in the books as of yet. Think about it. You breat 21% O2 and around 79% Nitrogen. By adding 32% O2 you decrease the N2 to 68%. It is simple physics. You are in reality cutting down on you consumption of Nitrogen. The books will say that, but they still will not say it helps to prevent the bends. Just think about. Some food for thought. I dive Nitrox on most of my recreational dives. I feel a lot better after a Nitrox dive than I do with the same dive with air. Could all be in my head or it could actually have a scientific reason.

I don't dive with nitrox often, but I find when I do, I'm not as tired afterward. So for a dive trip where I was doing 3-4 dives a day, and wanted to be able to play a little at night, I would consider nitrox for at least my last dive of the day.

No matter what the water temp, I usually get cold long before I run out of bottom time or air, so I don't need it for the extra bottom time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom