Nitrox - Is it "worth it"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That appears to be the case. In each instance, the nitrogen load when arriving at the safety stop and when arriving at the surface is less for nitrox compared to air. It would seem this would be demonstrable comparing SurfGFs

I don't know if these differences make a practical difference in the risk of DCS when diving close to the NDL and making a standard safety stop. On a theoretical basis, it would seem possible
3 minutes offgassing on 32% instead of air would make some small difference. When you add that to the fact that you likely will have a lower nitrogen load because of more NDL time available I believe it is worth it. For our type of diving 32% simply makes it so we seldom approach NDL's, while on air we were often pushing them. Add in the "placebo" of feeling better and it is worth it to me.

"How much diving do you need to be doing to NEED the shortened interval times?

Have you looked at the PADI Tables? Up to about 100', you are close to an "A" diver after a 2 hr SI, which is very close to a clean slate.

Example:
Dive 1 @100 ft 20 min
2 hr SI
Dive 2 @ 100 17 min allowed

I used nitrox 32 on both liveaboards, and dove with an air computer, making it more conservative. Everywhere else I use regular air 80/20

Either way on a liveaboard you do a 2 hr SI, max 4 dives a day typically.

Maybe I've just been at it too long, but I like to do other things than just scuba on my vacations.

With Nitrox..... translates into longer no-decompression-limits at a given depth. The only thing you need to really be aware of that is different from air is your maximum depth. On air you can go to 187 ft depth. On Nitrox, generally you will want to stay less than 100 ft depth. Take a class ... To get the most benefit, all divers in a team should have the same gas....

Seems like sound advice as the main thing we're looking at is longer NDLs and shorter surface intervals with less nitrogen "build up" over multiple, multi-dive days in Bonaire on relatively shallow sites. Since posting the question, and considering all of the excellent advice given here, my wife and I have scheduled a Nitrox class with our LDS and look forward to getting the cert so we can use it to our benefit. Thank you!

Have you looked at the PADI Tables? Up to about 100', you are close to an "A" diver after a 2 hr SI, which is very close to a clean slate.

Example:
Dive 1 @100 ft 20 min
2 hr SI
Dive 2 @ 100 17 min allowed

I used nitrox 32 on both liveaboards, and dove with an air computer, making it more conservative. Everywhere else I use regular air 80/20

Either way on a liveaboard you do a 2 hr SI, max 4 dives a day typically.

Maybe I've just been at it too long, but I like to do other things than just scuba on my vacations.

I'm estimating we're going to be more in the less than 100' depth range for max time with closer to 45 minute intervals shore diving in Bonaire. Longer interval of course between the morning and afternoon/night dives with lunch in between, etc. We're also likely to do at least 4 dives per day for 6 days. We too like to do other stuff on vacations typically, but this vacation is a "dive vacation" for us. This will be our first trip to Bonaire, and to us the only reason to go to Bonaire is the diving, so we're going to take full advantage. Haha! Thanks for the post!

Seems like sound advice as the main thing we're looking at is longer NDLs and shorter surface intervals with less nitrogen "build up" over multiple, multi-dive days in Bonaire on relatively shallow sites. Since posting the question, and considering all of the excellent advice given here, my wife and I have scheduled a Nitrox class with our LDS and look forward to getting the cert so we can use it to our benefit. Thank you!
If nothing else, think of it as the same as insurance. It is better to have it and never need it than to need it and not have it.

I'm estimating we're going to be more in the less than 100' depth range for max time with closer to 45 minute intervals shore diving in Bonaire. Longer interval of course between the morning and afternoon/night dives with lunch in between, etc. We're also likely to do at least 4 dives per day for 6 days. We too like to do other stuff on vacations typically, but this vacation is a "dive vacation" for us. This will be our first trip to Bonaire, and to us the only reason to go to Bonaire is the diving, so we're going to take full advantage. Haha! Thanks for the post!

That sounds exactly like Bonaire diving. I think you have this one well in hand. Have fun!

A good computer that tracks that kind of thing is key to being able to do repetitive dives safely. Consider also that in addition to nitrogen, you need to also keep track of exposure to oxygen! Not only Maximum Operating Depth but also a daily limit of exposure to certain PPO2 levels. For example, PPO2 1.4 is to be limited to 180 minutes per day. That's only 4, 45 minute dives! A good computer like a Shearwater set to the correct gas mix should account for this. Always sanity check the computer's numbers against some rough manual calculations made in advance and either memorized or written on a slate.

noaa-tables.jpg

. . . For example, PPO2 1.4 is to be limited to 180 minutes per day. That's only 4, 45 minute dives! . . .

On EAN 32, the PPO2 is 1.4 at 111 feet. In other words, that's the maximum. It's unlikely you will remain at the maximum depth and thus the maximum PPO2 for the entire duration of each dive. Especially on a place like Bonaire, you might start out at a mere 60-80 feet and then lazily wind your way up the slope to the shore, so diving the kind of schedule the OP mentioned in post #144 won't raise any concerns about oxygen exposure. As has been discussed in a few threads, oxygen exposure may be something to watch out for if doing some aggressive diving on, say, EAN 36. But generally, it's a non-issue for us lazy rec divers, especially in a place like Bonaire where there's plenty of good stuff fairly shallow. Which is why being able to spend more time there, thanks to Nitrox, is a good thing.

As the OP on this, just wanted to update anyone who cares....We're now Nitrox certified and headed to Bonaire in 18 days! :) Ironically, in the SSI course material overview it literally reads, "It's worth it!" Got a chuckle out of that! LOL! Merry Christmas!

As the OP on this, just wanted to update anyone who cares....We're now Nitrox certified and headed to Bonaire in 18 days! :) Ironically, in the SSI course material overview it literally reads, "It's worth it!" Got a chuckle out of that! LOL! Merry Christmas!

Excellent news and a great show of humour. Enjoy your trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom