NITROX for any and all dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought we now believe there's about as much scientific reason for that, as there's for being less fatigued and having wet mouth after a EAN dive. Has that been re-de-bunked while I was not looking, or am I mis-remembering?
A recent study did indicate that:
  1. Helium does not require more decompression than nitrogen
  2. On the other hand, you probably should be doing that extra time anyway, even without the helium.

I'm in favor of those who feel there is no benefit not using nitrox. Those of us who prefer not to dive to the limits can continue using nitrox. Eventually data will show whether Wookie was right or not. As to feeling better, I've heard people with the bends don't feel that good.
The ratio of divers getting bent has not changed since the certifying agencies began teaching nitrox classes. If you want to reduce the risk of the bends, slow your ascent. You will feel better if you do.

Is it agreed an "almost bent" diver anecdotally feels worse than one with adequate decompression?

Not by me. I often do deco dive and dives close to the NDL. I can’t tell the difference. I think that assuming you can tell you are nearly bent and so you know when to stop pushing it is fooling yourself.

The ratio of divers getting bent has not changed since the certifying agencies began teaching nitrox classes. If you want to reduce the risk of the bends, slow your ascent. You will feel better if you do.
And you have a study that proves that? Or is that just a placebo? I agree with you. And I always feel worse after dives where I go up and down a lot. IMO anything that reduces decompression stress makes me feel better. Nitrox is in that mix.

If your Airtime is shorter than your NDL time, then you don't get any longer bottomtime.

Thats why I try to get a bigger tank when diving with Nitrox, at home i use my 15l tank for nitrox and my 12l tank for air.
true but not as result of the gas mix.

I'm glad to see that there was not a single post advocating the questionable and unproven use of Nitrox over 21% because it supposedly "gives the diver more energy" or "makes him or her feel better".
then i will do it I am less fatigued. i WILL ALSO SAY THAT I WAS A SMOKER TILL 97, so i assume my lungs are not as good as others are that don't see any benefit from it. If its imagination or not I dont care I just feel better.

I also find my respiration rate is slower when i use nitrox. Also probably indicaton of a health issue to some degree.

and now back to our regular scheduled programming.

I often ....dive ...close to the NDL. I can’t tell the difference. I think that assuming you can tell you are nearly bent and so you know when to stop pushing it is fooling yourself.

The NDL limits have a safety margin built in to them. I do not think that if I ride NDL that I am nearly bent. I still have a safety margin, just that it is less than if I did not ride NDL. The probability may be a little less but it is still very good. Especially if combined with careful ascents and nice long safety stops and two dive days.

The ratio of divers getting bent has not changed since the certifying agencies began teaching nitrox classes.
I would be interested in seeing the research on this. Can you provide a link?

I bet you read that on the internet!
I did not have to, I just asked my sister who is a professor who has spent most of her working life teaching doctors. She is also a Fellow of the royal society of pharmacologists.
Hyperbaric treatment using increased oxygen % is used to increase the rate of healing of injuries sustained by motorcycle racers. Put 2 identical athletes on treadmills, one using air, the other Nitrox, the Nitrox fuelled athlete will leave the air athlete standing, that is why EPO (although it works slightly differently to Nirox) was used to boost professional cyclists.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom