Nitrox Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm planning to take a nitrox course this spring. My main motivation for taking the course is simply to have more bottom time, but I'm also considering it as a first step towards eventually getting into doubles and limited decompression.

My LDS is a PADI shop, but they cater to technical divers. My AOW instructor from there is a technical diving instructor (deep trimix) and also a cave diver. They are steering me towards the PADI nitrox course (along with the wreck course, which I plan to take anyway). I like the shop and respect the people there, but I don't want to base my choice solely on that. I'd prefer a course that isn't dumbed down, but what should I expect from an entry-level nitrox course?

Without this turning into a debate about agencies, I'd like to hear from people who have taken nitrox courses from various agencies, particularly about the skills learned, the quality of the training material, and how the course fits into further training.

The PADI nitrox course is good. The theory isn't that hard and no matter where you take it you'll learn the same things. The PADI materials are genearlly among the best and their nitrox course involves actually getting out and diving with Nitrox. Some nitrox courses don't include any dives. For me that would be a turn off.

R..

As returnes said - for basic nitrox PADI is OK. Once you decide on Advance Nitrox then I would suggest choosing IANTD or TDI. Theory in basic nitrox course is more or less the same in all agencies.
Mania
PS. BTW it's not that difficult and basic nitrox has nothing to do with technical diving.

Daryl Morse:
I'm planning to take a nitrox course this spring. My main motivation for taking the course is simply to have more bottom time, but I'm also considering it as a first step towards eventually getting into doubles and limited decompression.
I like the shop and respect the people there, but I don't want to base my choice solely on that. I'd prefer a course that isn't dumbed down, but what should I expect from an entry-level nitrox course?

Seems to me you are on a good thing - you've got a shop going in the same direction you want to go in and you have a good relationship with them. Talk to them about your needs and I'll be they not only put on to the best course but also tailor it to suit your needs a bit!

For your first dealings with Nitrox, the PADI course is good (assuming the instructor is, of course). As mania said, it isn't hard and it ISN'T technical diving.

Daryl Morse:

My LDS is a PADI shop, but they cater to technical divers. My AOW instructor from there is a technical diving instructor (deep trimix) and also a cave diver. They are steering me towards the PADI nitrox course (along with the wreck course, which I plan to take anyway). I like the shop and respect the people there, but I don't want to base my choice solely on that. I'd prefer a course that isn't dumbed down, but what should I expect from an entry-level nitrox course?

Without this turning into a debate about agencies, I'd like to hear from people who have taken nitrox courses from various agencies, particularly about the skills learned, the quality of the training material, and how the course fits into further training.

PADI has excellent Nitrox materials and it's a good class. I found the Nitrox cert. the most relevant to moving into Tech in fact. I have completed the academic portion of TDI's Advanced Nitrox and the materials are not nearly as polished as PADI's. The TDI class is good and very practical but the materials are not as refined as a PADI's.

--Matt

If you go with PADI, ask your instructor to add in the concept of best mix. It's missing from the PADI text.

Walter:
If you go with PADI, ask your instructor to add in the concept of best mix. It's missing from the PADI text.

Have you ever determined "Best Mix" and then gone to a shop and actually got that mix based upon your request?

Thanks,
Chris

Daryl Morse:

If you have an instructor that is teaching trimix then he also teaches adv. nitrox and deco procedures. Take your nitrox class from him and let him know that you have an interest in tech in the future. The Padi materials are by far the most polished but the instructor will make the class. Having the tech instructor he will probably also show you the circle "T" and a few other things not in the Padi materials that will be helpfull. Good luck and have fun.

Bobby

One think I've notice from assisting on Advanced Nitrox course, a lot of divers who take the PADI Nitrox course only learn two mix (32%-36%) of course that all depend
on the instructors. So it come back to the "best mix" and the other formula you should learn on your basic course. When ask for the best Nitrox mix for a dive at 125ft, The first question the instructors usually get is where is the table for that depth. So make sure the your instructor teach all the formulas you will need to move to Deco diving.

It sounds like you are planning to move on to advanced nitrox. From what Ive eard about the PADI course it doesnt lend itself to natural progression to this. If your instructor includes the formulas and theory (he probably will if he will also be teaching your advanced stuff) then i would say go for it though. Just be sure to ask him first. in reference to the post from COVCI about actually getting best mix when requested, I ALWAYS get the mix I ask for, but in other shops defense we are a tech oriented shop. If the shop you use can only deliver 32 or 36 they probably aren't all that familiar with teaching other mixes either. As far as requiring dives for nitrox certification i don't see the value other than more dive experience. Nitrox is more of a planning and math class than a diving tecniques class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom