Nitrox cleaned then using air?????????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99:
You aren't supposed to use a reg on both regular air and nitrox.

You are never supposed to exceed the speed limit while driving.

Nobody I know observes either rule.
That's simply not true. Any regulator (except some titanium regs) is fine for up to 40% nitrox.
The manual on my Atomics B1 clearly says that a regulator used with normal air should not be used with nitrox unless O2 cleaned. In another section, it says that a regulator should be dedicated to either "nitrox service" or use with air.

You may argue with the manufacturer.

I may, and do, ignore the manufacturer.

But it is a fact that there are manufacturer recommendations out there that say that one should not use a reg on nitrox after using it on normal air.

The manual on my Atomics B1 clearly says that a regulator used with normal air should not be used with nitrox unless O2 cleaned. In another section, it says that a regulator should be dedicated to either "nitrox service" or use with air.

/QUOTE]

Here is exactly what it say on the atomic website, taken directly from their owners manual pdf:

(For the T2x, B2, ST1, Z2/Z2x)
These regulators may be used interchangeably with air or EAN mixes of
up to 40% oxygen concentration at 3500 psi maximum. They need not
be dedicated for EAN use, provided that they are used with air or EAN
mixtures that meet minimum dive industry purity standards.

Why your B1 would be different, who knows, but I strongly suspect that they (atomic) just changed a dumb policy, not anything in the regulators.

Here is exactly what it say on the atomic website, taken directly from their owners manual pdf:

(For the T2x, B2, ST1, Z2/Z2x)
These regulators may be used interchangeably with air or EAN mixes of
up to 40% oxygen concentration at 3500 psi maximum. They need not
be dedicated for EAN use, provided that they are used with air or EAN
mixtures that meet minimum dive industry purity standards.

Why your B1 would be different, who knows, but I strongly suspect that they (atomic) just changed a dumb policy, not anything in the regulators.
I imagine their policy has changed over the years.

I have a 2005 B2, and the manual (from 10/2003) says:

NITROX (EAN) USE -- T1(x), B2, Z1 (obviously the later models hadn't been released)
"...At time of purchase, you must decide if this regulator is to be used with EAN or standard compressed air. If you desire to use EAN, this product must be dedicated for EAN only and identified as such. Do not switch between EAN and standard compressed air..."

Interestingly, that same manual only identified the M1 as usable interchangeably (as well as certified for use up to 80%, dedicated).

I believe there was a thread a few years back, in which we talked with the Atomic rep about this, and at that time, if I recall, his take was: "use it with either, interchangeably, up to 40%."

P.S. I've used my B2 (and an SS1, and an Apex octo), for years interchangeably... haven't blown up yet...

Thanks for the responses. I cannot really beat up my LDS since the manufacture does the same thing. I posted the question becuase I want to be safe but at the same time I do not want to "drink the kool aid." I am not using a Tit reg. It is being serviced now but I did not want to contaminate it with air if that was an issue. After these tanks are used they will be O2 cleaned and dedicated to EAN like my other 4 tanks. Thanks again to everyone. :D

Thanks for the responses. I cannot really beat up my LDS since the manufacture does the same thing. I posted the question becuase I want to be safe but at the same time I do not want to "drink the kool aid." I am not using a Tit reg. It is being serviced now but I did not want to contaminate it with air if that was an issue. After these tanks are used they will be O2 cleaned and dedicated to EAN like my other 4 tanks. Thanks again to everyone. :D

First, just because the LDS and the manufacturer are both spewing the same BS about nitrox use with regulators does not mean you can't "beat them up." They're both giving out misleading or patently false information, basically using scare tactics to get uninformed customers to spend more money. I hate to be so cynical about it, but that's basically what's happening. Just because an employee at a dive shop might believe the BS himself doesn't mean it's not BS.

This is so simple...under 40% O2, no special treatment, over 40%, oxygen clean protocols. Try to find A SINGLE incident, in the thousands and thousands of recreational nitrox dives throughout the years, of a regulator igniting with under 40% O2. Wanna bet it has NEVER happened?

That's simply not true. Any regulator (except some titanium regs) is fine for up to 40% nitrox. Further, it's not "air" that contaminates an O2 cleaned regulator, it's air that has not been filtered to O2 clean standards. Lots of dive shops, especially tech oriented shops, use air that's O2 clean.

There's so much misinformation and BS floating around about regulators and nitrox. It's really simple; for recreational nitrox, don't worry about your regulator. The only exception, and to be honest I'd be extremely surprised to hear about an actual problem, are some titanium regulators that are specified by the manufacturer to not be nitrox compatible out of the box.

I wouldn't hesitate to pack my MK10 with silicone and use it with nitrox.
All of the oxygen clean protocols involve exposure to higher than 40% O2 mixes.

I had to laugh at that one. I don't know how many hundreds of hours my silicone lubed regs have with nitrox passing through them.....from some of the BS you hear, my silicone lubed, nitrile oringed double hose reg should have exploaded years ago. :)

EC, dive the reg and don't worry about them unless you start going over 40%. If you actually are paying for real O2 cleaning- an extra fee, find another shop. While we are on O2 cleaning, your nitrox tanks most likely DO NOT need to be O2 cleaned. Almost no one is tank mixing nitrox around NC any more. Almost everyone is banking premix and if that's the case with your shop there is no need to O2 clean the tanks either. If they are premixing and still wanting to O2 clean your tanks you def need a new shop.

First, just because the LDS and the manufacturer are both spewing the same BS about nitrox use with regulators does not mean you can't "beat them up." They're both giving out misleading or patently false information, basically using scare tactics to get uninformed customers to spend more money. I hate to be so cynical about it, but that's basically what's happening. Just because an employee at a dive shop might believe the BS himself doesn't mean it's not BS.

This is so simple...under 40% O2, no special treatment, over 40%, oxygen clean protocols. Try to find A SINGLE incident, in the thousands and thousands of recreational nitrox dives throughout the years, of a regulator igniting with under 40% O2. Wanna bet it has NEVER happened?
actually this is very common.. a full blown o2 fire is uncommon though thats why most people think it is alright.. WHat happens alot of times is that contamination builds up over time, especially on the HP seat.. what end up happening is incomplete combustion.. the diver never knows they had a mini fire (since its totally contained)... the result.. sometimes creeping IP, but definately a dive with high co on the dive it happened.. This could cause serious issues..

I have seen MANY hp seats over the years with evidence of some type of combustion...

actually this is very common.. a full blown o2 fire is uncommon though thats why most people think it is alright.. WHat happens alot of times is that contamination builds up over time, especially on the HP seat.. what end up happening is incomplete combustion.. the diver never knows they had a mini fire (since its totally contained)... the result.. sometimes creeping IP, but definately a dive with high co on the dive it happened.. This could cause serious issues..

I have seen MANY hp seats over the years with evidence of some type of combustion...

I'll believe you when I see evidence that a regulator using lower than 40% O2 has ignited. Until then, BS. To say that "this is very common" is complete nonsense, and I'm sorry for saying it that bluntly, I don't mean anything personal.

100% O2, I'll believe it. Recreational nitrox, nope.

More astonishing is certified people generated, recreational non repetitive
nitrox.

Back
Top Bottom