NITROX CERTIFICATION PROTOCOLS - REAL WORLD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are shops that sell nitrox yet have no analyzer for the customer to use. I can think of one such shop in cave country.

You bring your own analyser AND duct tape AND black marker pen. It's not hard and your life may well depend upon it.

(Or pay GUE an absolute fortune for their printed duct tape!)

Now, will someone please recommend and solid analyzer!!! Good God, it never ends!!! :)))

I’ve owned the same Analox O2EII for 12 or 13 years. Incredibly durable. The sensor is consumable and needs to be replaced every 3-4 yrs or so. I’m on my 3rd sensor I believe. Other then replacing the battery on occasion this thing just work and keeps on working. They are available from many reputable online shops for around $269.

Analox O2EII Pro Nitrox Analyzer

The replacement sensors are easy to find and run around $125.

I’ve owned the same Analox O2EII for 12 or 13 years. Incredibly durable. The sensor is consumable and needs to be replaced every 3-4 yrs or so. I’m on my 3rd sensor I believe. Other then replacing the battery on occasion this thing just work and keeps on working. They are available from many reputable online shops for around $269.

Analox O2EII Pro Nitrox Analyzer

The replacement sensors are easy to find and run around $125.
Great little analysers. Had mine for years too.

You can get those sensors much cheaper if you use a sensor dealer :)

I bought my last one for ~£50/$70 from Vandagraph

Time for my note about labelling.

First row: I ALWAYS WRITE the Oxygen (and Helium if applicable) to ONE DECIMAL PLACE, so if it's exactly 32%, you write 32.0%.
Second row: The date in LETTERS: JUL 16, DEC 31 (simply because you cannot confuse which is the date and the PPO2 percentage).

Others will recommend you sign it, put the pressure on it, put the MOD on it.... Whatever you're taught is good.
ALWAYS USE ONE DECIMAL PLACE AND CLEARLY WRITE THE DATE SO IT CANNOT BE CONFUSED.

Actually, if analysing my own collection of cylinders some time in advance of using them, I wrap some tape over the valve to show it's full -- easy to tell at a glance.

Let's go diving...

When you say that the tanks are being loaded, I assume you mean that the dive shop is loading them and not the divers. I've only used Nitrox with 2 different dive shops and one brought the thanks and an analyzer for me to test their tanks, the other dive shop I picked up the tanks at the shop and had to test them at the shop before leaving, then log it into their book before leaving with their tanks.

There are shops that sell nitrox yet have no analyzer for the customer to use. I can think of one such shop in cave country.
Everybody I've seen at that shop has their own analyzer.

I don’t see the need to test them day of use when they are my own tanks. Nothing wrong with it, I just don’t see the need. I test them once after filling and label them. As far as telling my tanks from others, my name is on the crown of all of my tanks.
I label my tanks after each use, including partial fills. I think. At least I hope I do. That is why I analyze my own tanks if any appreciable time has passed before using again.

Here are two stories.

A diver in South Florida was about to go on a dive when he accidently broke his foot, leaving him out of the water until it healed. When he returned to diving, he took his doubles, which he recalled were filled with air before he broke his foot, on a dive on the Hydro Atlantic--170 feet to sand. After awhile on the wreck, he made a sudden bolt to the surface, but it was too late. Those tanks had EANx 36.

A man with his own compressor at home prepared for a dive in the Devil's System at Ginnie Springs, with a depth of about 100 feet. He had an AL 80 stage bottle clearly marked as having oxygen, but when he was asked about it, he said it was mismarked and actually had nothing but air. When others insisted he analyze, he got quite huffy--they were his tanks, and he knew damn well what was in them. After his death, analysis indicated that the tank held oxygen.

I label my tanks after each use, including partial fills. I think. At least I hope I do. That is why I analyze my own tanks if any appreciable time has passed before using again.

Here are two stories.

A diver in South Florida was about to go on a dive when he accidently broke his foot, leaving him out of the water until it healed. When he returned to diving, he took his doubles, which he recalled were filled with air before he broke his foot, on a dive on the Hydro Atlantic--170 feet to sand. After awhile on the wreck, he made a sudden bolt to the surface, but it was too late. Those tanks had EANx 36.

A man with his own compressor at home prepared for a dive in the Devil's System at Ginnie Springs, with a depth of about 100 feet. He had an AL 80 stage bottle clearly marked as having oxygen, but when he was asked about it, he said it was mismarked and actually had nothing but air. When others insisted he analyze, he got quite huffy--they were his tanks, and he knew damn well what was in them. After his death, analysis indicated that the tank held oxygen.

Those are very sad examples of why your tank markings matter. I take tank labels very seriously to ensure I'm not a statistic like that. Here is my process:
  • Every one of my tanks has a clear label indicated what it contains.
  • After a dive I leave the label in place. After all, it still has that gas.
  • When I have the tank filled, if possible, I immediately analyze it. If I am not able to immediately analyze it I remove the label. ALWAYS. That tells me I still have to analyze the tank. I NEVER leave a tank labeled if I have not tested that mix.
  • I will eventually test any tanks that do not have a label. Typically upon returning home but absolutely before I ever use the tank. I then affix a new label with the mix clearly marked.
Following this procedure I know at all times that if my tank has a label, that is what is in the tank. I therefore do not re-test the day of the dive (typically). Sometimes I choose to because maybe I'm feeling OCD that day. However, given that I religiously follow the above procedures, I know that if a tank has a label, I know what is in it.

In both of the instances you mention above the issue was not the amount of time that had passed but that the tanks were either misslabeled or not labeled at all.

I blend my own gases, including trimix. I test them at the dive site. I tell my students that I don't trust myself, so they shouldn't trust me, either.

One key additional point I forgot to mention. I'm not diving a wide variety of mixes and a wide variety of depths these days. If I were I too would probably analyze before the dive. I fill my tanks with nothing other than 36% (and air in my two pony bottles). Sometimes it's 35%, sometimes 37%, but typically right at 36%. Not alot of difference between 35-37% with respect to safety.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom