Nitrox better for an older diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

claymore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know that nitrox should help reduce the chances of DCS.

I am a new older (61) diver. I am going to COZ in 4 weeks and someone at my LDS said that I should get my nitrox cert. because older divers are more suseptible to DCS and that nitrox would lower the risk of getting hit.

Is this an accurate statement and is it a worthwhile to get the nitrox cert just because you are older.

Is there enough of a risk to justify the costs of the cert and the gas for the conservative diving I will probably be doing for the neer future?
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/images/smilies/More Smiles/confused.gif
Thanks for any information.

claymore

The benefits of nitrox are debatable, however in my opinion its good for older people to use nitrox as it reduces nitrogen loading in your bloodstream therefore reducing the chances of gettin DCS.I like to dive nitrox using the regular air tables whenever I can. If you plan on going to depths of 80-100 ft this is where Nitrox is most useful. Take the course,its not that expensive as courses go and its one of the worthwhile courses to learn and it will make you a better more knowledgable diver.

Hello Claymore:

It is true than nitrox can reduce the nitrogen loading in the body, if the NDLs are treated as if you were breathing air. However, it is possible to accomplish the same reduced loads by simply reducing the duration of the dive. You effectively reduce the NDL for yourself.

This reduction is easy to do, costs little, and can be of benefit. Reducing physical activity (musculoskeletal stress) post dive will reduce the formation/growth of tissue microbubbles and reduce DCS risk.

Do older divers have a greater susceptibility to DCS? It is debated, but I did not see evidence of this (on Doppler bubble scores) when I tested the tables that became PADI’s Recreational Dive Planner.

Dr Deco :doctor:

My diving doc told me to knock about 20% off the NDL times on tables for my dives... but that's because i'm a fat bastard
You could also do something similar?
Why not dive nitrox on air tables, then add some conservatism by knocking times off the tables?
If you dive a computer then most will allow you to set a dive time alarm when you reach a certain amount of bottom time.
Might be the way to go... i'm sure Dr Deco will chime in if i'm wrong

Another alternative for an edge is to stay above the crowd on deeper dives. The guide will be around 80 ft on the deep (first) dive. If you stay in the 65 to 70 ft range, you will still be on the wall just a bit above them. Tell the DM what you plan to do and move to the rear of the group so you won't interfer with the swim-thrus which you probably want to pass on. Just watch their bubbles coming up thru the coral and it will be easy to catch them as they emerge.

I'm 62 and nitrox ceertified but rarely use it in Cozumel since I'm only doing 2 or 3 dives a day. If you want to do 4 or 5 dives a day, I would strongly advise the switch to nitrox.

My diving doc told me to knock about 20% off the NDL times on tables for my dives... but that's because i'm a fat bastard
You could also do something similar?
Why not dive nitrox on air tables, then add some conservatism by knocking times off the tables?
If you dive a computer then most will allow you to set a dive time alarm when you reach a certain amount of bottom time.
Might be the way to go... i'm sure Dr Deco will chime in if i'm wrong
No, dr Dreco does not have time to read all posts and correct as indicated. Diving Nitrox on Air tables is just silly to me. Each diver can set his/her own limits but that's not the best approach. There are other things that can help as much with less penalties, as DrD did suggest above.

"I know that nitrox should help reduce the chances of DCS." Nope, not really significant. It helps reduce Nitrogen loading, which is involved, but not the whole deal.

I strongly suggest that serious divers get their Nitrox cards so they can use the tool as indicated, but with the multi level diving of Cozumel and $10 upgrade - I'll use one tank only on a 4 tank dive day there and still return to the boat in the green every time, a much more objective approach I think.

I will opt for Nitrox when it's $100-150 for the entire week of diving on some trips, and most certainly doing square profiles on wrecks, but for Coz and other multi-level diving - not likely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom