Nitrox at Komodo land-based?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you talking about late winter or early winter? I'm in the process of getting Nitrox for our resort in R4 (ie. getting certified by ASSET) and purchasing equipment. Depending on which part of Winter, we might be able to accommodate a fellow Canadian.

Are you talking about late winter or early winter? I'm in the process of getting Nitrox for our resort in R4 (ie. getting certified by ASSET) and purchasing equipment. Depending on which part of Winter, we might be able to accommodate a fellow Canadian.

Thanks Melvin but I'm set for Raja Ampat. I'm trying to find the right place for me at Komodo.

All the best with your R4!

A liveaboard could meet your wish list and you should be able to find some boats that overwinter in Komodo. The Indo Aggressor (formerly Komodo Dancer) stays for example. I've taken 3 trips on that boat (all 10 day summer trips), but my 3rd trip will be my last. YMMV. Used to have one of my favorite guides in SEA though. My first Komodo LOB was in Dec on a Grand Komodo boat with a tight group of friends but no Nitrox.

I went to Komodo 3 x on liveaboards, so I don't know much about any land-base resorts in Komodo. It's better to dive there on liveaboard, especially the southern region, too far to reach by day boats, so it's less crowded, away from riffraff, more quiet & remote.

Indo Aggressor has Nitrox. Also Adelaar Liveaboard, Duyung Baru, Oceanic, Sea Safari VII.

If you are certain you want nitrox that’s fine, but just so your aware, this isn’t deep diving. I’m 6 dives into my trip with scuba junkie, and our average depth has been 11 meters for 5 of those dives and 13 meters for the remaining dive. I haven’t dropped below 15 minutes on NDL time yet.

Just in case you weren’t aware or the type of diving you’ll likely experience.

If you are certain you want nitrox that’s fine, but just so your aware, this isn’t deep diving. I’m 6 dives into my trip with scuba junkie, and our average depth has been 11 meters for 5 of those dives and 13 meters for the remaining dive. I haven’t dropped below 15 minutes on NDL time yet.

Just in case you weren’t aware or the type of diving you’ll likely experience.

FYI, Nitrox isn't for used for diving deep, rather for diving long, often and safer.

FYI, Nitrox isn't for used for diving deep, rather for diving long, often and safer.
I’m aware of that, but to really make use of it, you need a combination of both. If you’re doing 30 m repetitive dives, nitrox is going to make a huge difference. But on 11 meter dives? Not really. You get no where near your NDLs. We did 65 minute dives and I wasn’t even close.

I’m aware of that, but to really make use of it, you need a combination of both. If you’re doing 30 m repetitive dives, nitrox is going to make a huge difference. But on 11 meter dives? Not really. You get no where near your NDLs. We did 65 minute dives and I wasn’t even close.

You don't need to dive 30m to use nitrox, and despite what you have experienced, the dives in Komodo (disclaimer : I dived the place those last 3 years, and some years before that too) are not really the 11m kind you find in Anilao Pier where you'll spend 90' between 12m and 5m. (Besides that 11m average depth is NOT the same as diving max 11m, the average depth is completely useless for that. ).

So if you want to combine Castle (where would you be at 11 m? wiped by the current in the blue) then Crystal rock, you would be better off with Nx. Same goes for repetitive dives where some computer brands (Suunto to name one) punishes you badly if you don't use an EAN mix (and even with it...).

Maybe after more than 6 dives getting to te best sites of Komodo, which apparently you've not dived yet, you'll be happy to come back in this thread, saying that yeah... after all Nx is not all bad.
FWIW, I remember a 3rd dive on Tatawa Besar where I had 5' of deco (on Galileo 'puter while the instr. I was diving with had something like 15' with his poor Suunto). EAN32 would have helped that day..

I have my reasons for using NITROX. They are important to me personally and portionally align with Luko's response above.

On the other hand, one could argue that diving nitrox in a place when you can be caught in heavy down current is not a good idea.
It's all about risk assessment and personnal preferences .

On the other hand, one could argue that diving nitrox in a place when you can be caught in heavy down current is not a good idea.
It's all about risk assessment and personnal preferences .
Apart from a few combinations of a location and a situation that are not well assessed by the dive guides, Komodo diving is generally not wall diving unlike say Alor, Bunaken, or Nusa Penida that regularly bring down currents, hence not so many down currents than fast running currents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom