Nitrox and beyond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

r1_addict

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So I will be taking my Nitrox classes this week and AOW soon after. I have been diving a lot of springs and still have not hit the Ocean! That will change soon. After spending a small fortune on equipment and classes getting on a boat is hard...

If I may put in my two cents here. Before you go do AOW I think you should get several ocean or gulf dives in. I think its great you want to progress as fast as possible and I am very happy for you that you are moving along well but don't get so caught up in classes that you don't get to dive and enjoy it. This is just a personal opinion and by no means a comment on your abilities but I don't think you are ready for AOW without having spent some time in the ocean. I'm sure there are others out there that will disagree and I have no doubt that there are divers that have been certified as Advanced without hitting the ocean. I just think that you have not had enough of a diverse diving career to warrant going after advanced. Sorry if I upset you or anything I just want you to be aware so no one in the dive shop talks you into something your not prepared for.

I have to agree with GRD. AOW is only worth it IMHO if you already have a bit of varied experience or you can do it in a place where you can really get some experience with the 4-6 dives needed to get the cert. If you can't get a true deep dive, or a low viz dive for navigation, or a drift dive...then the cert is kinda worthless.

Just my 0.02 psi...welcome to the board.

-J.-

Hey Guys,
I always welcome feedback from those in the sport. I have always been one of those who like to go "balls deep" when I get into something. As it stands now, we have planned the AOW this weekend, we are doing a drift, navigation, peak, and deep. At some later point, we will do a night and wreck. There is no doubt I am on the "fast track". I would say I am being spoon fed. My buddies are very advanced instructors so all of my teaching is basically private lessons. I am pretty calm and I am really picking up the skills. This will be my last round of certs for a while because I certainly agree I need to spend a lot more time in the ocean! I might have to get a job at Home Depot to feed my addiction. I am finally going in the Ocean Sunday. We depart from Ft. Desoto.

In my opionion more education is not a bad thing. I was AOW very early in my diving history too.

Be careful about HOW you apply your newly practiced skills. Dive safe on EVERY dive. Know the dangers of the dive and stay within your limits. It seems to me, more "advanced" divers have accidents than the noobs that dont know anything!

I think your doing the right thing, you don't have to dive off the deep end every dive after you get your AOW cert, you can still take it slow and use what you learn. Now if you are cramming classes to become an instructor :no: then thats another story, but to get more knowledge to better your self is a great idea. You can get alot of gulf dives in when the water warms (>75degree) up :eyebrow: I'm always looking for divers to fill my boat :D

Yeah,
To me it is like racing, you only get good if you practice! Hey Gulfcoast, where do you put out from? I have a group of guys at work looking to go. PM me with your rates...

Yeah,
To me it is like racing, you only get good if you practice! Hey Gulfcoast, where do you put out from? I have a group of guys at work looking to go. PM me with your rates...

I put in at jungle prada boat ramp (park street south of 22ave n.) and I don't have rates as I'm not a charter, just a private boot. Only looking to split the gass and ice :wink:

[GOOGLE][/GOOGLE]
I put in at jungle prada boat ramp (park street south of 22ave n.) and I don't have rates as I'm not a charter, just a private boot. Only looking to split the gass and ice :wink:

Hey Brother when it gets warm enough for you to start diving again. I want in on one of those Monday runs. My next available Monday won't be until some time in May but if you're going out then I want in. :D

Hey Guys,
I always welcome feedback from those in the sport. I have always been one of those who like to go "balls deep" when I get into something. As it stands now, we have planned the AOW this weekend, we are doing a drift, navigation, peak, and deep. At some later point, we will do a night and wreck. There is no doubt I am on the "fast track". I would say I am being spoon fed. My buddies are very advanced instructors so all of my teaching is basically private lessons. I am pretty calm and I am really picking up the skills. This will be my last round of certs for a while because I certainly agree I need to spend a lot more time in the ocean! I might have to get a job at Home Depot to feed my addiction. I am finally going in the Ocean Sunday. We depart from Ft. Desoto.

IMHO, you should consider night diving, or at least get some night dives under your belt... it's a whole new world after dark. To me, drift diving was part of "everyday" diving. Navigation skills can also be used anywhere and are very useful, especially if you gravitate towards search and rescue type courses. You might also find wreck and deep go hand-in-hand as many good wrecks are also deep.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom