Nitrox Analyzer Recommendation by SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoadWarrior

Contributor
Reaction score
Just started studing for my upcoming Nitrox class. SSI recommended using your own analyser to verify the mixture on each tank.

Ugh... looks like analyzers go for about $250.00 and up.

No tech diving around here. Do you really need one or would that be over-the-top?

Just make sure that anywhere you buy EANx has an analyzer and will let/insist you use it to verify your FO2/MOD. I just finished that same class and that's what my instructor said I should do. If you dive a lot, it might not be a bad investment just for peace of mind.

Mike

If they fill Nitrox they better have an analyser. Use theirs since they insist
you sign off on the tank and after all, you are doing business with them!

You can easily build your own. Here is a kit from Oxycheq for $100 or do a search and find other plans. You will need to buy a sensor so the Oxycheq option is a convenient one as all parts come in the kit.

http://oxycheq.com/el_cheapo_II.html

Do they actually say use "your own", or are they just saying that you should always verify the mix yourself? Almost all places you get Nitrox will have one for you to use. Some people have their own but I think most don't - no idea how many (sounds like a good poll.) There is a thread on here discussing this where some number of people said they had their own. On the other hand, I have never ever gone someplace and seen someone bring their own.

Having your own analyzer might be useful to avoid waiting if there are many people wanting to use the analyzer, or in the rare event you run into a place that doesn't have one for you to use. And like any other gear you'd know your own is in good working order, sometimes a place will have one but it won't be working very well.

Note that besides the initial cost, the O2 sensor will eventually need to be replaced (they last from one to a few years.) Keeping them sealed when not in use is supposed to make them last longer. Some people do build their own analyzers relatively cheaply, there are even kits available.

Using the stores is probably how they checked it. If it was wrong it will probably be wrong again. Build your own for $100, El Cheapo II...

www.oxycheq.com

Damselfish:
Do they actually say use "your own", or are they just saying that you should always verify the mix yourself? Almost all places you get Nitrox will have one for you to use. Some people have their own but I think most don't - no idea how many (sounds like a good poll.) There is a thread on here discussing this where some number of people said they had their own. On the other hand, I have never ever gone someplace and seen someone bring their own.

Having your own analyzer might be useful to avoid waiting if there are many people wanting to use the analyzer, or in the rare event you run into a place that doesn't have one for you to use. And like any other gear you'd know your own is in good working order, sometimes a place will have one but it won't be working very well.

Note that besides the initial cost, the O2 sensor will eventually need to be replaced (they last from one to a few years.) Keeping them sealed when not in use is supposed to make them last longer. Some people do build their own analyzers relatively cheaply, there are even kits available.

"you need to be able to correctly analyze cylinder content at the blending station or in the flield... you must either OWN or have READY access... you must know how to use this equipment properly!"

I guess what I'm really asking everyone is would you skip a dive trip if you can't analyze you nitrox tank easiely enough or just go with flow and assume all will bebe fine?

SSI's Nitrox Class manual says: "you need to be able to correctly analyze cylinder content at the blending station or in the flield... you must either OWN or have READY access... you must know how to use this equipment properly!"

So... would you skip a dive trip if you can't analyze your nitrox tank easily enough or would you just go with flow and assume all will be fine? Just how important is it? I don't intend to buy or build an analyzer. I'm signed up for the class next week but maybe diving with nitrox isn't that important to me.

Most folks don't need their own analyzer since the shop blending it should have one available for use. However, they really don't cost that much though the sensor needs to be replaced every two years or so.

As for diving gas that hasn't been analyzed by me... I wouldn't do it.

note: djanni... I merged your threads since they are essentially asking the same thing.

Don't assume anything. If you do not know what's in the tank you should
not dive that tank. You never know it might be a high 02 technical bottle.
"You are responsible for your cylinders contents being what you asked for."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom