Nitrox Analyzer Recommendation by SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I think my life is worth $250, but that's just me. I lost a friend to a tox hit last year when he failed to test a tank before he dove it. I'm sure he had an analyzer, but I test every tank I dive, before I dive it, even though I tested it in the shop when I picked it up...

It's cheap insurance.

Also, you can confirm what's in your buddy's tanks before you dive. In theory, his gas could be your bailout and vice versa. Do you really want to take someone else's word for whats in their tanks?

An O2 tox hit is no joke.

Always always always check your tank before you leave the shop,

I should add that the "event" that first caused me to buy my own analyzer, was when I left my tanks for a 32 fill at a shop. When I picked them up, they were properly labelled as such. The owner (not a shop I normally went to) seemed a bit put off when I insisted they be retested in my presence. He did it however, and we discovered that the fill was actually 70%!

I was heading to an area where all of the dives were in the 110' range. I'd have been dead if I hadn't insisted on that test.

My take is this. You get a fill they check it. Then you check it to accept the tank. Its pretty silly using the same meter to do both checks unless there is a reference to validate the sole meter. Remember your sig on the book is really saying that you tank read a value on a meter. Not that the meter used is correct. When yours matches the shops, both meters are sudo validated to be accurate. Its when there is a diference that seperate meters becomes of valve.

My take is this. You get a fill they check it. Then you check it to accept the tank. Its pretty silly using the same meter to do both checks unless there is a reference to validate the sole meter. Remember your sig on the book is really saying that you tank read a value on a meter. Not that the meter used is correct. When yours matches the shops, both meters are sudo validated to be accurate. Its when there is a diference that seperate meters becomes of valve.

They should have air available to calibrate and verify their meter for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Except for one person, I have never seen a check with a known gas done by anyone. And when that was done it was with air. Shops cal with air. That cal says nothing about whether a meter can read above say 45% because of a near failure sensor. One of my shops meters would not read above 27% but air cal'd fine. As uncle ronnie would say ,,, trust but verify.

They should have air available to calibrate and verify their meter for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Except for one person, I have never seen a check with a known gas done by anyone. And when that was done it was with air. Shops cal with air. That cal says nothing about whether a meter can read above say 45% because of a near failure sensor. One of my shops meters would not read above 27% but air cal'd fine. As uncle ronnie would say ,,, trust but verify.

I'm not following how that's a problem. The air check is a part of the process. If you calibrate to air, you have a good starting point. If your expected 36% blend then reads 27%, logic will tell you that you have a sensor problem, or a blending problem. Either way, you're not diving the mix until you figure out which it is. That applies whether you're doing PP blending or running a membrane system. If a dive shop refuses the use of an air tank to calibrate with, I'd be asking some questions. Such as, are THEY even calibrating their sensor?

If i wanted 27 and they gave me 36 beccause the tank monkey filled with banked 36 after fill meter said 27, You would say good fill. This has happened to me. i ordered 30 they filled with banked 36 and did not top off with air cause they then cought that my tank was a lp and quit filling. So when expecting a 3k tank of 30 i got 2500 of 36 that read 30 on their meter. I cought it when i tested it with my meter. In COZ their meter read 32 and mine read 30. Returning to the states I found mine read correct. Another trip and mine was not correct because of a low battery. You dont know what you are getting and you can not verify it unless it is checked by independant sources. I see tech in your name.....would you trust the shops meter to be correct when mixing some O2 AND 50% deco for you, or would you independantly check it. I bet you check your tank as you rig up at the site. And by checking the meter i mean checking it with a known say 32% or 50% source.

I'm not following how that's a problem. The air check is a part of the process. If you calibrate to air, you have a good starting point. If your expected 36% blend then reads 27%, logic will tell you that you have a sensor problem, or a blending problem. Either way, you're not diving the mix until you figure out which it is. That applies whether you're doing PP blending or running a membrane system. If a dive shop refuses the use of an air tank to calibrate with, I'd be asking some questions. Such as, are THEY even calibrating their sensor?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom