Nitrogen narcosis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL. In a way, Nitrox DOES help with narcosis: it gives you more BT so that helps with thinking slower.
More bottom time = more time to think slowly, perhaps you might come to a decent conclusion before you run out of bottom time.

In principle, you're right. Me, I probably wouldn't bet my life on it, though.

That opinion is not strongly stated, and it is referring to the study that suggests there may be a benefit in using nitrox in terms of narcosis.

Even though the study suggests a benefit, it is at best a small one.
Anecdotal data:

I haven't noticed any difference between EAN32-ish and air about being narked at around 30-35m depth. Which fits pretty well with the theory.

Well, science is not really exact in this field, as you know, but you can have a read here if you want to get an idea: Calculated Confusion: Can O2 Get You High?

The article does say, "Because oxygen and nitrogen are considered equally narcotic, END can be calculated using the total of a gas minus the fraction of non-narcotic helium." Bold added.

That's one of the big reasons that GUE keeps all dives to an END of 100 feet - even 300+ foot dives. Use helium, and you can keep your END the same below 100 feet.

That oxygen is just as narcotic as nitrogen is in one of the graphics from Fundies as well, below.

If anything, it is erring on the side of caution, as Fogarty of DAN indicated.

Oxygen as Narcotic 1.jpg

Oxygen as Narcotic 2.jpg

008D0132-95FD-441B-8F83-5FF5F81D1FD0.png
People don’t dive deep on air to see how their affected by narcosis or how they deal with it. There’s reasons to do it. I believe I’ve located the wreck of the Acacia Class sloop HMS Lavender in 71 metres. I’d be happy if it was in 40 that’s the way it is.

View attachment 654072 People don’t dive deep on air to see how their affected by narcosis or how they deal with it. There’s reasons to do it. I believe I’ve located the wreck of the Acacia Class sloop HMS Lavender in 71 metres. I’d be happy if it was in 40 that’s the way it is.

First congrats, and lets hope it is what you think it is! Which from you photo appears to be the Lavender from WWI? Second, if it was in 40m someone else would have probably found / dived her by now, so that is one thing depth has going for it.

Given, I assume 70m is the seabed, can I be so rude as to ask if you are doing / going to do the dives on air or gas? If you'd rather not say, that's fine with me.

This article includes a bit more information on the Mount-Milner Test:
Nitrogen Narcosis: A Critical Conversation - DIVER magazine
Funny, I was just looking that up before I read your post All About Narcosis...

Two articles EVERYONE should read. Thanks for posting.

And thanks for the link to the Mount - Milner article 'wedivebc', as I was going on memory and was only out by 20 odd years or so as to when the tests were conducted, and the depths involved! See, I was narced on the surface!!!:banghead:

First congrats, and lets hope it is what you think it is! Which from you photo appears to be the Lavender from WWI? Second, if it was in 40m someone else would have probably found / dived her by now, so that is one thing depth has going for it.

Given, I assume 70m is the seabed, can I be so rude as to ask if you are doing / going to do the dives on air or gas? If you'd rather not say, that's fine with me.
Thanks, going to bounce it on air in order to identify and create enough interest over the summer to get people to save these wrecks. Their disappearing at a serious rate

Thanks, going to bounce it on air in order to identify and create enough interest over the summer to get people to save these wrecks. Their disappearing at a serious rate

Your intent - to try to help 'preserve' said wrecks - is to be comended. As yes, they are dissapearing, litteraly, in many parts of the world at a very serious rate. Lets hope it is what you think, but whatever, sounds like a 'new' wreck just the same.

6CAFC265-50C5-4908-A9CB-819E2B198DD6.jpeg
BB6FD4B6-B672-4A9F-BCA2-8AA2261FB506.png
6CAFC265-50C5-4908-A9CB-819E2B198DD6.jpeg

What do you think of this image as a match for the Lavender? It’s 81 metres long and 15 metres wide. The stern is broken up which makes it a bit wider than should be.

View attachment 654085 View attachment 654087 View attachment 654085

What do you think of this image as a match for the Lavender? It’s 81 metres long and 15 metres wide. The stern is broken up which makes it a bit wider than should be.
At the risk of being accused of drifting of topic, I'll start by staying on topic and say that it is nice she sits upright as your proposed air bounce will not nessecerily have to take you to the seabed.

As for your question, certainly a contender for Lavender, with the length almost spot on. But the width of 15m adds almost half to Lavenders / Acacia Class stated width of 10m, but if it is the stern debris field adding that bit of extra width, then....Only thing, the bulky above decks 'center section' looks somewhat out of place as to what one might expect. Only way to find out is go dive it and see! Good luck!

Oh, and I envy your side scan gear that revealed those images!!! If only we............

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom