Nitrogen narcosis and alcohol use.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Back in the summer of 1977, I was involved with the recovery of a boat that had sunk in 130 FFW. I was diving my DA Aqua-Master double hose reg on a steel 72. My dive buddy, Fuzz, and I went down first to find the boat and mark it. It was during that dive, my first ever to that depth, that I got narcked. Big time. I remember following Fuzz down to find the boat and tie a marker to it. It was cold down there and we weren't wearing wetsuits. My teeth were chattering on the rubber mouthpiece and my breathing was becoming erratic. We lucked out and found the boat right away. I was starting to feel light headed and giddy as I watched Fuzz attach the marker and let it go. That was the last I remember. The next thing I knew we were at 90 feet and ascending. Fuzz was holding my mouthpiece in my mouth and hauling me up by my harness strap.

I spent the rest of the time doing support work for the other divers. I have not attempted a dive to that depth since. My personal limit is 100 ft., though even a dive to that depth has been a rarity.

A few days later, I was discussing the incident with the owner/instructor at the dive shop that conducted the recovery and he told me that I was most likely sensitive to narcosis because I was not then (nor am I now) a drinker. He said that divers who habitually drink alcohol are less susceptible to nitrogen narcosis, while non-drinkers, like myself, are influenced more easily and at shallower depths.

It seemed logical to me at the time.

But is there any truth to it? I'm just curious.

The observation that narcosis and alcohol intoxication result in similar cognitive deficits does not necessarily support the fact that a common biological mechanism underlies both processes.

That being said, Hobbs published a 2008 study that investigated this. The results from Experiment 2 point to a positive correlation between alcohol and narcosis.

There may be some truth to what the owner/instructor said...but then again maybe not. :idk:

I don't believe that there's any significant support for people developing a resistance to narcosis.

I do think that there is a skill that can be developed for recognizing impairment, and subsequently maintaining some amount of focus/control through it. While people generally significantly overestimate the effects of this skill (usually to the detriment of mankind), I do think it exists on some level. I would imagine that - to the extent that such a skill exists - development of said skill while drinking probably has application to dealing with narcosis.

No matter what, it's not something to be relied on. There's a reason people dive helium based gases deep these days...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
I would tend to agree with HepCat... the ability to deal with and manage impairment is a more likely possibility than regular consumers of alcohol being less susceptible to the intoxicating effects of concentrated intake of nitrogen. I rarely get happy narced, but in dark and deep (especially cold) dives I can develop an anxiety that I don't like. It abates when I ascend 10 or 15', so I am fairly sure it is a form of narc'd.

I totally agree with you and I must begin my narcosis training right now. Rum and coke in order to avoid becoming narked. Wow diving is even fun in the winter, I was about to hit the tread mill but I like this nark training better :)

Holy cow I am two drinks into my training and I am feeling narked already. I think I will slow down. I am having fun with this thread only because I just received a bottle of rum as a late Christmas gift and I am making full use of my training time :wink:

Holy cow I am two drinks into my training and I am feeling narked already. I think I will slow down. I am having fun with this thread only because I just received a bottle of rum as a late Christmas gift and I am making full use of my training time :wink:

:shakehead:

I totally agree with you and I must begin my narcosis training right now. Rum and coke in order to avoid becoming narked. Wow diving is even fun in the winter, I was about to hit the tread mill but I like this nark training better :)

Glass of wine #1

OK glass of wine #2...I'm starting to relate :D...and I'm with ya all the way.:cheers:

:rofl3:

Reactions: Jax
Coffee, anyone?:coffee:

hmmm, i like the sound of this. i am starting a nitrogen tollerance traning group as we speak if anyone wants to join me. tonights lesson is going to be tought with a bottle of mead i made my self.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom