Nitrix Oxide and scuba question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaknott

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I hope this is the right place to post this if not let me know and I will be glad to change where I have put it.

I have been doing some research but have not been able to come up with a definitive answer. I am a fairly active diver but I also do a lot of weightlifting as well. As part of my weight training I have been taking protein supplements and other muscle building things. Recently I have added the supplement called Nitrix Oxide in my weight lifting stack and I did plenty of research on it before deciding to include it into my current supplement stack.

I understand how Nitrix Oxide affects the process of muscle building but what I am unsure of is the adverse affects, if any when mixed with diving. I have read where nitrix oxide gas has been used quite effectively to treat severe and even mild cases of DCS. But what I need to know is if there are any issues with having Nitrix Oxide in your system while breathing compressed air at depth. If so should I not take the supplement, for some period of time, before diving?

I know this is a long post however I am really needing some good advice. I just want to make sure that I can still dive safely with out any additional worries. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

From this post by Cameron Martz

Exercise and nitric oxide prevent bubble formation: a novel approach to the prevention of decompression sickness? J Physiol. 2004 Mar 16;555(Pt 3):825-9. Epub 2004 Jan 14; Wisloff U, et al.
"Exercise 20 h before a dive suppressed bubble formation and prevented death, with no effect at any other time (48, 10, 5 and 0.5 h prior to the dive). Pre-dive activities have not been considered to influence the growth of bubbles and thus the risk of serious DCS."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=14724207

Hi aquaknott,

The active ingredients in "Nitrix" are L-arginine, an amino acid, combined with several enzymes. Its advertised purpose is to increase the production of nitric oxide(NO). The extent to which "Nitrix" actually does so has not been scientifically demonstrated.

L-arginine/arginine is a precursor of NO, which causes blood vessel relaxation. It is considered a "semi-essential" because the body usually makes sufficient amounts. Most people do not need supplementation.

There is some initial research suggesting that NO facilitators (e.g., nitroglycerin, N(omega)-nitro-l-arginine methyl ester) may reduce bubble formation. Conversely, drugs that inhibit NO synthesis (e.g., L-NAME) may increase bubble formation. However, considerably more research needs to be performed before it can be concluded that increasing NO availability either helps to prevent, or is an advised adjunct in the treatment of, DCI in humans.

In the meantime, using prudent amounts of "Nitrix" should cause no risks to scuba. Using excessive amounts could result in nausea, weakness, diarrhea and dehydration. It will not increase nitrogen(N) gas loads.

Scuba diving weightlifters using this product will want to take extra measures to stay well hydrated. They also will want to time their joint-stressing workouts, which can facilitate bubble formation, to at least 4 hours before or after diving.

Helpful?

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hey DocViking,

Thanks for the info I just wanted to make sure I would still be able to dive while taking the supplements. That at least gives me some notion that there are no more additional risk to worry about other than staying hydrated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom